Skin Manager suggestions

Guest BryanH

-- Biggest suggestion, make it easier to update our skins with new versions. Or perhaps somehow eliminate need to make skin updates.

-- Provide an option for children skins to automatically inherit parent Template HTML and/or CSS changes, if we choose. In fact, if this can be done on a bit by bit basis with Template HTML, that would be even better. For example, if I have 10 children skins and I make a NEW change to the parent skin, I want the children to all inherit the change instead of me having to update them all manually.

-- Even easier logo changer. It seems strange to me that you have to create an entirely new skin set if you just want to change the logo to individualize a certain forum. This may become doable if the above suggestion can be implemented.

-- Make the CSS Easy Mode even easier. It says "easy" but it seems so backwards and weird that I end up just always editing the raw CSS myself. However not many of my other admins know CSS as well as I.

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to post 'em.

Most likely just me but I do somewhat like the tabs in the various place(s) in the admin cp's of the various software/modules (nexus, ipd, etc) How'd this contribute to the skin manager?

Would it be to(o) much work to tabize the easy skin set {with all the boxes) to show like only those boxes that affect the banner or top area of the fourm/board. Or only those parts of the skin that affect the bottom.

Also could the same be done to the macros? That's one thing I like of zetaboards, it's easier (than it is/was in 1.3 or later) to find what your looking for.

-- Provide an option for children skins to automatically inherit parent Template HTML and/or CSS changes, if we choose. In fact, if this can be done on a bit by bit basis with Template HTML, that would be even better. For example, if I have 10 children skins and I make a NEW change to the parent skin, I want the children to all inherit the change instead of me having to update them all manually.

This is already how the skin manager works, PROVIDED you haven't customized the same template bit/CSS for the child skin.

If you make a parent skin and child skin like so

Parent Skin
--Child skin 1
--Child skin 2

And then you edit, for example, Topic View -> RenderRow in the "Parent Skin", both of the child skins will inherit this change if you haven't customized this template bit in the child skins.

If you HAVE customized the bit, it's all but impossible without some massively powerful regular expressions to try to determine what changes need to be applied to the child skin, and even then you may not want those changes applied to the child skin.

Archived