Deleted Posts

Guest Mark

When viewing a topic that has had deleted posts it can get quite confusing (you get similar problems as to what cropped up in the 'ignore feature' thread - people reply to posts which then dissapear and it leaves the other users thinking that the poster is completly nuts as they're pretty much just talking to themselves)

I don't know if anyone has ever used the IMDB.com forums but they have something which works well. When a post is deleted, a simple one-line message displays showing "This post has been deleted by the poster" or "This post has been deleted by a moderator". And I think this would work well in IPB.

I have attached a screenshot of how this could work.

It could also be possible for this to be optional, as it would edit the actual delete function it would be easy to call a setting to see if the post should be hidden, or simply moved to the trash forum and perform the appropriate action.

Aren't moderators usually the only ones who can delete a post anyway, unless settings are set otherwise? If that's the case, a moderator could simply clean up the posts a bit. Most of the time when a post is deleted it's a double post anyway, and if it's something else it's usually made invisible.

What I'd like to see is if a post is deleted and placed in the trash can forum, an option to "un-delete" and return a post/topic to where it was.

I like that idea it could come in handy cleaning out the crap I get on our clan forums. If it could be made into a modification I would use it but it would be nice if it could make a default feature with an option on the user side to turn it off.

What, if anything, should be done if the posts are split into a new topic?

A suppose a similar thing... or perhaps something similar to when you move a topic (there being an option to leave shadow-posts)

Aren't moderators usually the only ones who can delete a post anyway, unless settings are set otherwise? If that's the case, a moderator could simply clean up the posts a bit. Most of the time when a post is deleted it's a double post anyway, and if it's something else it's usually made invisible.

What I'd like to see is if a post is deleted and placed in the trash can forum, an option to "un-delete" and return a post/topic to where it was.

Yeah, that's a point to consider - perhaps something similar to what I mentioned above, an option when deleting, or splitting or whatever (there is a confirm screen anyway, it's just a case of adding a checkbox) to leave a shadow-post.

With this in place, it would be easy to enable an un-delete option as the post would still be in the post table in the correct topic.
Let's say to do this a column is added to the posts table which is like 'deleted_by' that has a user ID in it (or maybe 1 for "the poster" or 2 for "a moderator") and maybe 'delete_shadow' which displays 1 if there should be a shadow post, and 0 if not. When displaying the topic it would check if deleted_by has anything in it, and if it does, along with delete_shadow being 1, it displays the shadow post if not, it doesn't.
Now when you select "undelete" or whatever in the trash can, it would simply be a case of clearing the contents of 'deleted_by' and viola - the post would return.

Archived