[Suggestion] API DB Text

Guest BlackDrag

Hi

It could sound "stupid" but a lot of members can't afford license and average quality hosting (free and paid) with mysql.

Per example it is not easy today to find a reliable free hosting with mysql without paying an extra. An API DB text could be useful for small forums on free hosts.

DB could me made as .txt or .dat ...etc

:lol:

Hi iMMENSE

I do know there will be security issues, it will be lot slower and many other things....

It is also a simple way for user to buy the licence and to run a forum on a free decent host (without mysql) and not having the web offline every x times because the host server crashed again.

It is nice to think that everyone can afford everything but things are not like this. Not everyone is 20 years old or more, do have a decent work or wage..etc

And it does not sound as you say, it sound at someone can buy an ipb license and can still use it on a "decent" way. (free host without mysql don't crash so often)

Boxter but toss in 59 octane fuel

and I won't tell you how much you will have to spend in Europe for 59 octane fuel :P

If you cannot afford SQL hosting, which can be as cheap as a couple of bucks a month - how can you afford the license costs?

If you get hosting from IPS you get a free (with some restrictions) license of IPB, that might be an option for you. If not, there are free or very cheap options out there - I can't post them due to the rules but feel free to drop me a PM if you want some links.

:lol: :lol:

I know that, and I know I could buy another dedicated server help out more user from my sites to host their sites for free....Personally and I think lot of people who do have a license just get there own server or hosting...etc
Why do we spend so much money when everyone could get hosted in ips....sure you understand my point here.... :P

It is not IPS main job to host people who can't afford a license and a decent free (extra $ for mysql) or paid server, they have to concentrate on making software ( a priority I think for ips), give support ...etc
Everyone will act has he wants, but young people do not have so much money. Per example, one of them want to make a website and find a nulled version on web. get it installed on a free host. This host crash every x times and does not let him make his project on a good way.
I know than lot of nulled users will get a license if they could install it on a free host that won't crash all the time, so without mysql they won't crash so often, they won't get hacked ..etc

I know that everybody could answer this with another example but it is not my point to argue on why or how.

Anyway, ipb propose his product with mysql, oracle, sql add other kinds of db management... And It could be another option to get ipb with a DB text and this db text could handle sql files per example

Just another feature...

Well, the issue is that IPB really wouldn't work with text files - at least, it won't work anywhere near as efficiently, especially on sites with higher traffic. Once you get above a certain number of users, there are so many queries executed per second that you'll easily end up with a huge backlog of requests, not to mention queries that modify existing data.

Granted, it's possible to do, but I don't think that the majority of people will have any need for such a system, especially since it essentially destroys how the software is meant to work.

So in theory, you want IPB to put out forum software in a flat file KNOWING it will eventually cause major headaches - thus giving everyone that uses it the impression that IPB sucks? I'm not sure, but I doubt IPS would care to shoot themselves in the foot. ;)

Yes, I agree with that. I was speaking about small forums for beginners.

Granted, it's possible to do, but

I don't think that the majority of people will have any need for such a system, especially since it essentially destroys how the software is meant to work.

Which is why it probably should not be added into the IPB core. Someone can always just write a new database driver to implement it with text files, but I don't see the point in having that come standard.

• 3 months later...

Archived