2.3.3 Upgrade Cannot be Started

Guest AtariAge

Sigh.

Downloaded the 2.3.2 to 2.3.3 upgrader. Trying to install and the installer is displaying an error at the top of the screen,

Warning: file(/home/atariage/public_html/forums/upgrade/installfiles/config.xml): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/atariage/public_html/forums/upgrade/core/class_installer.php on line 174

Warning: implode(): Bad arguments. in /home/atariage/public_html/forums/upgrade/core/class_installer.php on line 174

Sure enough, there is no "config.xml" file. There isn't one in the install package, I double checked. Here's a screenshot:

Well, so much for a screenshot. I tried to upload an attachment here but received the error, "Upload failed. The file was larger than the available space." It's a small 84K picture. The error appears on the first installer screen, above the upgrade dialog.

Anyone else run into this?

..Al

Got a few calls and tickets on this.

Basically it is caused by removing your 'upgrade' folder from the previous upgrade.

The upgrade pack adds onto existing folders. So it adds the needed files into the 'upgrade' folder. If that folder is not there, it will upload only the new files -- which obviously isn't enough.

If, for security reasons, you want to disable the upgrade script in between upgrades, you can CHMOD the folder to 000 until the next upgrade, when you can change it back to 755.

Yeah, I just discovered this when I downloaded the full install package looking for that file. I renamed the upgrade folder for security reasons. Renamed it back, uploaded the upgrade files again, and running the upgrade script now.

Maybe the upgrade script should handle this condition more gracefully? Especially if you're getting multiple calls and tickets on this issue..

Thanks for the quick response,

..Al

You should be able to upload the whole 'upgrade' directory from 2.3.3 and run the upgrade script afterward.

There's really nothing in the upgrade folder that should be deleted, unlike the install folder. The permissions are usually 755 right off the bat, which Keith mentioned, can be changed to not allow access.

Archived