Filtered-Count in Users' "Placards"

Guest RogerKni

It would reduce flaming if flamers found that their "filtered"-score (the number of members who've filtered them) were posted in their placard. (Or whatever the proper name is for that rectangle on the left that contains data about the poster.) Here are some additional thoughts:

1. This score could be expressed as a graphic as well as a number (or instead). E.g., a bar, and/or a color (ranging in small increments from green, to yellow, to red).

2. Filtered-counts should be weighted toward recentness. E.g., being filtered three years ago should count less heavily than being filtered three months ago. This would give flamers an inducement to mend their ways. I.e., if they stopped offending people, their bozo-rating would improve.

3. Filtered-counts should be weighted by the post-count (and/or the date of joining) of the filterers. This would make bozo-ratings less susceptible to rash judgments made by newcomers--including, perhaps, "ringers" recruited to "game the system" and punish enemies.

4. If a filterer removes a filter, the bozo count of his target would be reduced, but only fractionally. And the longer the bozo had been filtered, the smaller this fractional reduction should be. This would induce hotheads to apologize and mend fences. But it would still, properly, penalize them somewhat, and encourage them to count to ten in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Those last four items are bells-and-whistles. I hope I didn't make this proposal seem too complicated by mentioning them. Even without them, merely having a field like "Filtered by __ members" in each user's placard should penalize jerkish behavior a bit, and thus tend to deter & diminish it somewhat. That's worth doing. And merely providing a filtered-count shouldn't be too complicated to do.

Perhaps, but I really honestly don't know how much the "Ignore user" feature gets used...I personally never use it. Easy enough for me to manually ignore someone.

I have users on several IPB forums that I go to ignored, either because they flame me or others that I like; they spoil things; or for other reasons. It might be used more than you think.

Perhaps, but I really honestly don't know how much the "Ignore user" feature gets used...I personally never use it. Easy enough for me to manually ignore someone.

The main point of the feature is to 'send a message" to flamers and borderline-flamers (e.g., to merely "jerkish" posters) who need to hear it and moderate their behavior. Getting these folks to "tone it down a bit" would greatly increase forum-attractiveness--and therefore indirectly benefit Invision in the long run. Of course, a few flamers are so "defensive" and self-centered that most feedback would bounce off their "shells." But feedback would have a positive impact on the majority of them. (And it would have a positive effect on the members doing the filtering too--they'd feel less frustrated.)

This "message" would be provided by a high filtered-count. "High" would be a relative score. That is, members would judge their scores in relation to the scores of others. A filtered-count of 100 would be considered High if 100 appeared to be a score in the upper 10% of filtered-counts. On a site where filtering is rarely used, a score of 10 might be considered High, if 10 were in the upper 10%. So a "message" would be delivered even if filter-usage is low.

Another point to consider about the current low usage-rate of Filtering is that the display of filter-counts would make members readier to filter flamers, because doing so would have the extra benefit of "sending a message."

To make sure the "message" gets noticed, I suggest that the filtered-count be displayed in red.

Archived