Add Topic to Digg, Stumble Upon, del.icio.us, Etc.

Guest chefelf

Another feature I would really like to see in newer releases is to add to the bottom of the first post in each topic a way to quickly submit the topic to Digg, deli.cio.us, etc. Preferably it could have some built in big names like Digg, Stumble Upon, etc. with the ability to add custom submission to other newer or lesser known sites.

I think a lot of people would be interested in this as a way to drive traffic to their sites. Also having the ability to turn it on/off would be great, particularly in conjunction with IPDynamic.

Thanks!

This is a really difficult area to work in, as these sites come and go and their popularity is ever changing. Where do draw the line on which are included and which are not?

This is already very possible with simple skin changes, i'd say it's really up to the forum admin to decide which they want to support and for them to put it into the templates.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I think that's why it would be great to have it be fully customizeable. You could have simple popular sites like Digg, Reddit, del.icio.us, etc. built in. Then users could simply add whichever new ones they'd like by editing a very simple form in the AdminCP (similar to custom bb) to tell the forum exactly what code to run for the new site.

Just a thought. :)

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I think that's why it would be great to have it be fully customizeable. You could have simple popular sites like Digg, Reddit, del.icio.us, etc. built in. Then users could simply add whichever new ones they'd like by editing a very simple form in the AdminCP (similar to custom bb) to tell the forum exactly what code to run for the new site.

Just a thought. :)

Wouldn't it be more complex to fill in a form and add a new one, defining the HTML in the form, than it would just to put that same code straight into the templates? :unsure:

Well, I guess my thinking was having the ability to place them and manage them a little more easily without having to edit the skin.

On a related note: would you happen to know of any skins/templates/tutorials that would achieve this result?

Thanks again for your replies!

Thanks for the links. I had found those earlier unfortunately due to hardware/software restrictions I'm stuck with version 2.1.7 at the moment and none of them are compatible. The CommunitySEO seems kinda neat but I'm hesitant to have to pay a recurring license fee without doing a little more research.

At the moment it looks like I'm going to hold off but I appreciate everyone's help!

Thanks!

Okay, so far I've edited my topic view to contain buttons for Digg and del.icio.us and both are working well. The reason I still think this would be a great feature is because it would give the Admin the ability to control which forums they can and can't appear in.

Presently if you use this method it will appear on the top of every post which may not be necessary or appropriate. If you could limit it to a set of specific forums that would be much better.

It would also be a good thing to be able to control which user groups could use this feature with their posts.

Thanks for the links. I had found those earlier unfortunately due to hardware/software restrictions I'm stuck with version 2.1.7 at the moment and none of them are compatible. The CommunitySEO seems kinda neat but I'm hesitant to have to pay a recurring license fee without doing a little more research.

At the moment it looks like I'm going to hold off but I appreciate everyone's help!

Thanks!

Compatibe with 2.1.x: http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?...mp;showfile=701

Archived