2.1.7 (and the 2.1.x series)

Guest AndyF

Note: this is not a support request , just a question!

Although i expect everyone still using 2.1.x is on 2.1.7 by now :)

Anyway, does IPS have any plans to discontinue support for this version ? or perhaps i should say , does IPS have a set support / timeframe remaining for this version ?

(I ask as simply because i purchased a 2nd board today and it offered me 2.1.7 as well)

:)

Support has two phases..

1 is basically patching of the product.. That stops after 2 versions.. So, as far as I know, there will be no further security updates for any problems found in the 2.1.x line. This also goes for things like MySQL5.. IPB 2.1.7 MOSTLY works with MySQL5, but it will never be fully updated to work with MySQL5. If the next version of PHP has tweaks that cause IPB 2.1.7 to stop working, again, there will be no official patch released to resolve that. Once 2.3.x was released, 2.1.7 basically is out of support.

Second is support via the ticketing system.. We still actually have to answer questions about 1.3 here and there. There are people who purchased a license back in the day and are still running 1.3.. Most times those tickets involve heads turning and someone yelling "Hey. Does anyone remember how to...." So.. From that standpoint, as long as you have an active support license.. You're OK.. We'll help as much as possible. However, if you encounter something like your host upgrades to PHP5 and you're running IPB 1.3.. We're probably going to tell you to upgrade. I won't recommend the patches that are out there to make it work, because we have no idea whether those 'patches' introduce other security issues, and we're not going to invest time in it to do one. And please don't ask us for a 2.0.1 index.php file.. I try to keep the last version in every line, but I've seen people running IPB 2.1.2 and needing an index.php file.. Sorry.. I don't have it. I can dig up a 2.1.7 index.php, and perhaps a 2.0.4, but not some mid-range version like 2.0.2 or 2.1.3 or something like that.

Right now.. 2.1.7 is still secure.. Will it remain that way? Well, it's been a long time since anything security related was found with it.. And same thing with 1.3.. Does that mean they'll always be secure? I wouldn't hold my breath, but so far so good. Problem is, you have to have applied all the patches, and the 1.3 patches are difficult to find now.

@ ~Dopey~ and Stonna ... It wasnt a "why shouldnt i install 2.1.x instead" , i know its an older version, but i do find it reliable, fast and stable. And no i wont be installing it. :P I was merely curious why it was offered to me but i expect thats because its a 2nd purchase and i am still offered that version for the other account.

@ Jason H ... Thanks for your detailed reply. :) I understand what you are saying in that there may be problems in the future and you cannot support old versions forever ( i am suprised that peeps still submit tickets for 1.3 though :o ) ... I can understand that although its ok at the moment, holes may appear that wont be officially patched in the future. I wont be installing it and didnt have any intention of installing that version.

It was just a general question really :)

FYI, Keith and I have the packages for every release ever made practically (back to pre 1.0 beta/alpha releases) so if the need arises we can dig up the file.

That said, 9/10 times if you have an issue that isn't just a setting change in an old version, we will suggest upgrading to verify if the issue is resolved (especially if we are aware of the issue and know it is resolved in a future version).

Archived