My suggestions for IPB Development Team

Guest Only 4 u

I jumped ship from vBulletin recently due to several reasons.
One of these reasons is the fact that vBulletin has become stale in many important areas.

IPB innovates and has never become stale.

IPB's admin CP is better, the profile system is better - most of the premium skins are better.

IPB in general is a better system when compared to vBulletin.

From what I've heard, the hooks allow you to change pretty much everything vB does, not just add new functions. This makes it a really great feature for developers, since you can make major changes to your forums without having to edit the original source code. If you wanted to do the same thing with IPB, you would have to find the right place in the sources and edit the files themselves, which creates a lot of work when you have to update your installation.

Had I known about this feature before I bought IPB, there is a good chance I might have gone with vBulletin instead.

VB has no different seo than IPB. :blink: vb has pages like "showthread.php?t=" while IPB has pages like "index.php?showtopic=".

Your search results that pull up vbulletin forums have nothing to do with SEO. And I highly doubt the choice made by any hosting/discussion forum you have found has to do with SEO either. It's likely due to vb being around longer. For example, theadminzone.com - they've been around since 2003/2004. IPB was pretty young back then, so they probably chose vb at the time because it was more established. I can't say they would have (or wouldn't have) gone with IPB had it been around for a while when they started, but you have to compare apples to apples. :)

As for search results - it really depends on the content if you ask me. I see IPB sites at the top of search results all the time. For example, go search google for "mommies". The first result is a blog with no forum, but the second result is an Invision Board site. There's so many factors that play into it, but I don't think SEO in the stock software releases of either product is one of them if you ask me.

VB has no different seo than IPB. :blink: vb has pages like "showthread.php?t=" while IPB has pages like "index.php?showtopic=".

I don't see what the big deal is over it... I don't care if my links are SEO friendly I still get traffic via word of mouth the most reliable way.

As for search results - it really depends on the content if you ask me. I see IPB sites at the top of search results all the time. For example, go search google for "mommies". The first result is a blog with no forum, but the second result is an Invision Board site. There's so many factors that play into it, but I don't think SEO in the stock software releases of either product is one of them if you ask me.

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.php?act=idx

Hahaha... I have never seen so many forums in 1 IPB in my life, good luck moderating that site. Ok VB is cheaper bulk license wise so thats why many modeling companies, web hosts, and people that develop multiple sites buy it. Because bulk licensing is cheaper and they can throw up sites faster opposed to paying $150.00 per 1 license when they can get 50+ VB licenses for like $56.00 something a year :o for $50.00 I just renewed 2 IP Board licenses. Ok now putting that into perspective I don't think VB is the sh*t anymore. I test out the ACP and it looked like IPB 2.0.0 and 1.3 or whatever that ancient version was, yeah its got some cool stuff built in when I had to mod somethings for IPB, I mean if I had to choose a new forum for a site and could pay any price it would defiantly be SMF or PHPBB3 they are really making progress in the recent years, PHPBB3 is just amazing compared to what it used to be.

But still I think paid board wise IPB is the lead running, so I agree you have the right to charge the amount you want, but its discouraging me from purchasing a third license because of the price. So they way I look at it is a new server, hosting for three years, or IPB license for 1 year? :rolleyes:

Anyways that was a little off topic... but whatever.

what??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think you havn't check VB features
VB have Powerful search engine

I seen at theadminzone.com
people asking for best paid forum and everyone said to choose VB just because of
good SEO :wub:

Ok then Only 4 u, rather than argue the case, let's do this. Explain to me exactly what SEO features vb has that you would like to see in IPB. :) Don't just say "vb has good SEO and IPB doesn't" - that doesn't further your case. I need to know what it is exactly that is good that you want to see in IPB.

I too wonder how old Only $ U is. I've just been looking at his / her's profile and reading the posts. Absolute rubbish if you me. I run a busy IPB powered site that supports a 3D graphics program. Similar sites that I frequent run VB. My site is a lot faster. You also say it's easier to create new messages with VB. I don't agree. I also think IPB is much easier to edit and customize the skins. Most VB sites that I see appear to be pretty much standard whereas IPB powered sites often are customized to suit the sites subject of interest.

But what would I know? I've only been using computers for 28 years.

what??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think you havn't check VB features

VB have Powerful search engine

I seen at theadminzone.com

people asking for best paid forum and everyone said to choose VB just because of

good

SEO

:wub:

I frequent TAZ a lot, and a lot of the people who suggest vB do so because it's "been around for a longer time" (which is true), they have never given other forum software a chance, or they say IP.Board is ugly (which I laugh at because, well... let's face it - vB is horribly designed and not user-friendly at all, especially their old and cluttery ACP, but maybe it's just my opinion talking here). I'd say about 75% of posts are like that, and I've hardly seen posts that brag about vB's "superior" SEO capabilities. For one, vB does not include SEO features by default. They have an archive feature, which is exactly like IP.Board's lo-fi feature. See this paragraph. However, both forum softwares have additional modules that enhance the product to be more SEO friendly. vBSEO and CommunitySEO for vB and IP.Board, respectively. I personally have CommunitySEO installed and it is the same, if not better, than vBSEO.

I still don't see what the difference between the hooks system everyone seems to be drooling over and the components system...

I haven't had experience of VB, so I can't comment on that particular system, but the hooks system in drupal is something I'd absolutely love to see in IPB. Essentially, you can "hook" into any stage of the script. So say I wanted to add similar topic links after a topic, rather than editing a function in topics.php I could just put in a topic display hook function and I will be passed an object with all the topic data in it, which I edit and add too, then pass back and it'll be displayed. It makes installing mods much easier, for one.

But can you tell me why most of the hosting companies perfer VB not IPB?????

Don't know...

let me tell you ...why ??????

And i haven't seen if hosting companies prefer vB. And maybe this is before some years ago? And now :P ?

For me IPB is better then vB and so i have boyght my license vB and i have purchased IPB + IP Blog + IDM and soon IPD :wub:

And i was thinked you don't know about Turkey... But think other countries, IPB has been started to reaching and winning.
So in the future, %75 of the world will use IPB and vB will be down :D

• 2 weeks later...

You all answering in the favour of IPB because you all love it

OK then, just one little question can anyone give me any IPB forum link whose getting huge

traffic per day nearly 250-400 members + 80-1000 guests online constantly.

http://www.idolforums.com
http://www.neowin.net/forum
http://www.s2ki.com/forums
http://www.justmommies.com/boards
http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com

OK then, just one little question can anyone give me any IPB forum link whose getting huge

You give me a vB board with those stats and I'll give you a link to my mates IP. Board that he has which follows your request. But I'm not going too anyway. I have no reason to prove IPB to you or vB.

Has anyone else noticed the substantially low literacy rate in this topic? :blink:

From the posts I could actually read, all I've seen is "but vb have better seo than ipb have", yet no proof of this. If you want to complain, actually give proof that you're right, which as Brandon pointed out, you're not. The only difference in IPB and vB's is that vB uses many different PHP scripts where IPB only uses index.php, and even that doesn't affect SEO.

vB's not better than IPB, and IPB's not better than vB. It truly depends on content. If you have something like, say, a recreational graphics community like iPhotoshop, you'd want to go with IPB because the immense capacity to expand and modify skins. If you're going for a web hosting forum, you'd probably want vB because of the extra and highly detailed ACP functions. Even in those cases, you could very easily convert from one to the other without losing too many features.

Back on topic, rather than turning this into a "vb owns ipb cuz it has better seo and faster than 2.1.7", can you please provide proof of this? Oh, by the way, if you haven't noticed, IPB's at v2.3.1 now, which the whole point of was improving speed and performance.

Only 4 u, just out of curiosity: how old are you?

Archived