• Admin Logs
  • Admin Login Logs
  • Email Error Logs
  • Email Logs
  • Bot Logs
  • Task Manager Logs
and also to make sure the cache is always updated

add a spot in the cache manager for each log

I just tested this with Bot Logs on an IPB 2.2.2 dev forum and it freed up 2 queries and freed up 1MB fo space

so if each log is 2 Queries then this will save 14 total queries

maybe Matt or Brandon can comfirm as to total queries it takes to add those 7 logs to the DB

Huh - how would you cache logs? o.O Cache is meant to be used to store commonly accessed/requested data. Logs are not commonly accessed (as in, retrieved) data.

Our spider logs yesterday, before we pruned them, were over 1 GB in size. Could you imagine trying to "cache" 1 GB of data.

I'm not even sure what kind of cache you are referring to. memcache/alternative cache? If so, we couldn't feasibly store that much data in memcache, and it wouldn't help a single thing. A shutdown insert query to store a spider log isn't going to affect your site's speed in any way. And at most you might have 2-3 log insertions on a given page load, not 7. You aren't going to have a moderator log and an email log on the same page (it's just not possible with the code flow), nor will you ever have any of those with an admin log (other than possibly an email error log if an email was supposed to be sent, however even then an error is generally returned and the admin log wouldn't be inserted).

All said and done, storing this data in an alternative cache wouldn't help speed in any way, and would very likely cause problems and corrupted logs.

o well I got it done no problems unless I am stupid and know nothing

but how can you saay caching 1GB it would not cache it like that if you set it up the way I think should be done it would cache it each visit per day like

MSN BOT.THEDATE

it would never cache all at once it would cache per visit per bot per day

so saying 1GB is true but not caching the entire 1GB at 1 time it be over time

in essence all I am doing is storing raw logs into a cached php file for later grabbing similar to how you cache the errors into a .cgi file

o well I got it done no problems unless I am stupid and know nothing

but how can you saay caching 1GB it would not cache it like that if you set it up the way I think should be done it would cache it each visit per day like

MSN BOT.THEDATE

it would never cache all at once it would cache per visit per bot per day

so saying 1GB is true but not caching the entire 1GB at 1 time it be over time

in essence all I am doing is storing raw logs into a cached php file for later grabbing similar to how you cache the errors into a .cgi file

Ok, so you're talking about archiving then, not caching?

If so, that could potentially be added as an extension to the current pruning settings we have (archive logs before pruning) however as Keith said it wouldn't save any space, it would be offloading it from MySQL to disk.

It could help some areas, like loading the spider log pages in the ACP, if the data was moved to disk, however you wouldn't have access to the full spider logs - only the last x days or whatever it was set to.

Archived