Flag Topic

Guest `eddygordo

I was under the impression the idea/suggestion was to implement some kind of personal "save/flag topic" feature (a bit like starred threads in google mail/groups).

I think it is a good idea (if that is what was being suggested of course) :)

Does he mean flag topic as in a moderation sense, because I would like to see this too:

1) Adds a red exclamation mark on the topic view page, where the topics are listed
2) The user can add a comment that gets displayed in a yellow / orange / red or whatever color you want background at the top of the topic in a comment sorta thing

So basically I see a bad post, I hit flag it next to report, the user gets a PM that the topic has been flagged, moderators get a report thats its been flagged, and you can insert a comment.

This could be good if users see a possible flame topic or something like that or a debate is getting out of control. :)

Isn't this the same as Pinned?

No, pinned are basically "important" topics.

Who knows, he hasn't explained it. I was thinking it was to do with a report system personally.

I guess you can say that....

Does he mean flag topic as in a moderation sense, because I would like to see this too:

1) Adds a red exclamation mark on the topic view page, where the topics are listed

2) The user can add a comment that gets displayed in a yellow / orange / red or whatever color you want background at the top of the topic in a comment sorta thing

So basically I see a bad post, I hit flag it next to report, the user gets a PM that the topic has been flagged, moderators get a report thats its been flagged, and you can insert a comment.

This could be good if users see a possible flame topic or something like that or a debate is getting out of control. :)

Yes I think something like this is what I planned. I will specify what I think it should be like.

Here is what I think it should be like.
A button/icon somewhere in Topic Preview where users can hit it and a PM will be automatically sent to all mod groups who have the ability to flag topics or based on the ACP settings, only selected member groups. The mods will either use the reason the member specified or if the member didn't specify a reason then they will use their own reason for certain user discretion.When you hover over the topic it will show the reason. Then when a user actually clicks on the topic then there will be a page that displays the category of the content in the topic in bold and the reason under (Categories can be added and deleted in ACP). It can look something like the Youtube flagged thing but better. I am still not sure what it will look like in the Forum Preview, the topic that is but I will think on it hard or if anyone else has ideas post here. It is kind of like a form of the Close Topic feature.
Add details or any idea on it if you want.

You can enter a comment with the report button, and then the moderators know why you found it offensive. I don't see the need to make that public knowledge.

Imagine if every time Will saw something he didn't like, he could add a comment to the top of the page...

If that

is

what you're trying to accomplish, then simply subscribe to the topic with no email notification, then check your Subscribed topics in your UserCP.

Well perhaps a star should appear in that normally-empty box next to each topic (where topic icons like are shown) if the topic is subscribed to...

ya know, the first thing I thought was "Craigslist!" when I saw "flag topic."

Then I saw visions of people making posts, and when x-many people hit the "flag if offensive" button, the post went invisible.

User moderation! No use in buggin the moderators, they're all sleepin anyhow :lol:

(If you know craigslist, you know what I mean. If a posting is against the TOS, people can "flag" it. So many flags and a posting is removed without interaction from the staff.)

One difference, Craig's list is a advertisement/classified website, this is forum software. Typically it can be quite obvious if someone breaks a TOS agreement on a site like that. Forums, not so much. I've yet to go to a forum where people like memberators.

-1 from me. The currents systems are more than efficient for the suggested matters.

For the people who say that users may multi-flag for no reason, then what kind of members do you allow your forums to have? Unless you are running a skinning or modding site then thats a different question. Alot of people here run communities with their IPB Boards and would find something like this useful. I guess it can be turned on or off in ACP too. The report system wouldn't help because then the topic would be closed or deleted and no new posts allowed. I just think that to flag a topic would be useful for many things.

If someone could make a mod for this that would be very nice.

**This is `eddygordo

For the people who say that users may multi-flag for no reason, then what kind of members do you allow your forums to have?

So everyone that posts on your forum gets along? You've never had a member get upset with another? The point is moot, so no need to reply.

My main concern was the description of having why it was flagged displayed publicly.

So everyone that posts on your forum gets along? You've never had a member get upset with another? The point is moot, so no need to reply.

My main concern was the description of having why it was flagged displayed publicly.

Flagging is mod approved only. If a user "flags" a topic then a PM would be sent to all mods with the permission to flag topic and then they would go to check it out to see whether or not it should be flagged. If not, it will be denied and once denied the user who tried flagging the topic in the first place will get a PM saying it was denied. If the user continuously flags then it is up to you what you want to do with them.

Archived