2.3 question

Guest Luke

Question... would it at all be possible to add more features, or more along the lines... enhancements? For example:

- Could you please make the year in birthday optional + have an option in AdminCP to hide a person's age and year to the public for everyone.
- Add the ability to add to the warn notes without incrementing or decreasing the warn level
- When you choose "Show Moderators" in AdminCP forum control it actually sticks and stays there until you choose "Hide Moderator" (very annoying btw)
- Same thing, but with the one that shows all the forums at once.

Just small little stuff that would make a big difference...

Some things that aren't as important, but would be nice to think about:

- Make "search for user names" in CC while writing a PM look a lot less out of place (the window looks weird..)
- Add prefix/suffix to names of "The moderating team" and add an online indicator.
- When removing a moderator make it ajax so the page doesn't refresh... I want to remove multiple names. Is there an easier way?
- An easy way to add stats on the main admin page. Just some figures for other databases I'd like to add like if an Admin-only component has something on queue and I need something to catch their attention and take care of it. The kind of easy where I don't have to modify files to do it.

I could think about more I'm sure... But that's what was off the top of my head :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

Will you still support IP.Board 2.2 or are we forced to move to 2.3 for (possible) new bugfixes?

We will continue to provide support for 2.2 for the foreseeable future, although you will be encouraged to upgrade to 2.3 for performance enhancements and bugfixes. :)

I take it that existing versions of the Gallery and Blog are compatible with 2.3 (when its available to download) ? :)

Or will there be a small update to these in line with the public release of 2.3 ?

:unsure:

* I didnt ask for dates or expected dates ;)

Any bug fixes to the gallery? The gallery search function by date hasn't worked properly ever since I've been using the gallery. e.g. a search on uploaded images by date produces the same results regardless of the criteria. Try doing a search on the member gallery here with the criteria as per the attached image. You'll get 15 pages of results with any date.

3DKiwi

Question... would it at all be possible to add more features, or more along the lines... enhancements? For example:

- Could you please make the year in birthday optional + have an option in AdminCP to hide a person's age and year to the public for everyone.

- Add the ability to add to the warn notes without incrementing or decreasing the warn level

- When you choose "Show Moderators" in AdminCP forum control it actually sticks and stays there until you choose "Hide Moderator" (very annoying btw)

- Same thing, but with the one that shows all the forums at once.

Just small little stuff that would make a big difference...

Some things that aren't as important, but would be nice to think about:

- Make "search for user names" in CC while writing a PM look a lot less out of place (the window looks weird..)

- Add prefix/suffix to names of "The moderating team" and add an online indicator.

- When removing a moderator make it ajax so the page doesn't refresh... I want to remove multiple names. Is there an easier way?

- An easy way to add stats on the main admin page. Just some figures for other databases I'd like to add like if an Admin-only component has something on queue and I need something to catch their attention and take care of it. The kind of easy where I don't have to modify files to do it.

I could think about more I'm sure... But that's what was off the top of my head :)

No

Will you still support IP.Board 2.2 or are we forced to move to 2.3 for (possible) new bugfixes?

I take it that existing versions of the Gallery and Blog are compatible with 2.3 (when its available to download) ? :)

Or will there be a small update to these in line with the public release of 2.3 ?

:unsure:

* I didnt ask for dates or expected dates ;)

Nope - all components for 2.2 will still work with 2.3. We ARE working on upgrades for them, but not due to compatibility issues.

Any bug fixes to the gallery? The gallery search function by date hasn't worked properly ever since I've been using the gallery. e.g. a search on uploaded images by date produces the same results regardless of the criteria. Try doing a search on the member gallery here with the criteria as per the attached image. You'll get 15 pages of results with any date.

3DKiwi

This is an IPB 2.3 update. :) Gallery is in the works, but will not be released at the same time.

Let me say that I think it's excellent that IPS have decided to dedicate a release to tidying up and improving IPB rather than adding new feature suggestions. Considering IPB is quite a mature product now most releases will probably be either refinement of existing features or improving the codebase.

Over the past few releases we've seen a lot of code-level features added in for techncial users, that non-technical users may fail to appreciate. For instance there is now a plugin system for caching engines, a components system, an API framework, and a user-authentication framework. In addition certian features of IPB that could be used in other applications such as the post parser, the editor, custom fields etc. have been taken out of the frontend code and classes have been created to allow access to these features in other, integrated applications.

The benefit for non-technical end users? Many more, higher quality, more consistent, and better performing modifications and components.

2.3 is not a required upgrade so if you are happy with 2.2 you can stay there... as was pointed out the changes in 2.3 are pretty low-level so most mods should work just fine in 2.3 as they did in 2.2.

We will continue to provide support for 2.2 for the foreseeable future, although you will be encouraged to upgrade to 2.3 for performance enhancements and bugfixes. :)

talk about mixed messages :P.

Yeah, I think the message was that you are not required to upgrade (as in there are no security issues with 2.2, and if you can live with the bugs that exist, nothing is forcing you to upgrade) however we only release updates for the most recent version. If we release bug fix patches down the road, it will be for 2.3, not for 2.2. :)

Most skins and mods will work interchangeably, so the choice is yours whether you want to upgrade.

Archived