2.3 question

Guest Luke

And then there's this...

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=230880

Here is a list of stories of unusual behavior by job applicants, as reported by top personnel executives of IPS. Some are quite scary ...

Pulled out a Polaroid camera and snapped a flash picture of me. Said he collected photos of everyone who interviewed him.

Balding candidate abruptly excused himself. Returned to office a few minutes later, wearing a hairpiece.

While I was on a long-distance phone call, the applicant took out a copy of Penthouse and looked through the photos only, stopping longest at the centerfold.

During the interview, an alarm clock went off from the candidate's briefcase. He took it out, shut it off, apologized and said he had to leave for another interview.

Said he was so well-qualified (that) if he didn't get the job, it would prove that the company's management was incompetent.

He took off his right shoe and sock, removed a medicated foot powder and dusted it on the foot and in the shoe. While he was putting back the shoe and sock, he mentioned that he had to use the powder four times a day, and this was one of those times.

Stretched out on the floor to fill out the job application.

Brought her large dog to the interview.

Chewed bubble gum and constantly blew bubbles.

Candidate kept giggling through serious interview.

She wore a Walkman and said she could listen to me and the music at the same time.

Applicant challenged interviewer to arm wrestle.

Asked to see interviewer's resume to see if the personnel executive was qualified to judge the candidate.

Announced she hadn't had lunch and proceeded to eat a hamburger and french fries in the interviewer's office.

Without saying a word, candidate stood up and walked out during the middle of the interview.

Man wore jogging suit to interview for position as financial vice president.

Said if he were hired, he would demonstrate his loyalty by having the corporate logo tattooed on his forearm.

Interrupted to phone his therapist for advice on answering specific interview questions.

Wouldn't get out of the chair until I would hire him. I had to call the police.

When I asked him about his hobbies, he stood up and started tap dancing around my office.

Had a little pinball game and challenged me to play with him.

Bounced up and down on my carpet and told me I must be highly thought of by the company because I was given such a thick carpet.

Took a brush out of my purse, brushed his hair and left.

Candidate asked me if I would put on a suit jacket to insure that the offer was formal.

Said he wasn't interested because the position paid too much.

A telephone call came in for the job applicant. It was from his wife. His side of the conversation went like this: "Which company? When do l start? What's the salary?" I said, "l assume you're not interested in conducting the interview any further." He promptly responded, "I am as long as you'll pay me more." I didn't hire him, but later found out there was no other job offer. It was a scam to get a higher offer.

An applicant came in wearing only one shoe. She explained that the other shoe was stolen off her foot in the bus.

His attache opened when he picked it up and the contents spilled, revealing ladies' undergarments and assorted makeup and perfume.

He came to the interview with a moped and left it in the reception area. He didn't want it to get stolen and stated that he would require indoor parking for the moped.

Candidate said he really didn't want to get a job, but the unemployment office needed proof that he was looking for one.

He whistled when the interviewer was talking.

Asked who the lovely babe was, pointing to the picture on my desk. When I said it was my wife, he asked if she was home now and wanted my phone number. I called security.

She threw up on my desk and immediately started asking questions about the job, like nothing had happened.

Pointing to a black case he carried into my office, he said that if he was not hired, the bomb would go off. Disbelieving, I began to state why he would never be hired and that I was going to call the police. He then reached down to the case, flipped a switch and ran. No one was injured, but I did need to get a new desk.

Asked if I wanted some cocaine before starting the interview.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you guys provided manual upgrade instructions for us, would be helpful with forums that has many mods installed.

It sounds good (if perhaps one of those things that sounds great in theory but never really has much use to the majority of people), but still lacking imo is a feature which allows you to assign access to different skins to different usergroups. I'm guessing that won't be available with this release?

Yeah, I want to be able to assign different skins to different usergroups. :huh: how come this isn't' a standard feature?

I think if I'm understanding him correctly though, fundamentally you could do what he suggested. The only thing is the admin would need to set the custom skins per-blog presently.

IP.Blog may incorporate an update at a later point that makes use of the feature potentially to apply custom skins to a blog. It's possible, but you'd need to check with Remco about that.

It is allready a feature to apply custom skins to a Blog, however this let's the user decide which skin to lock to a blog. Theoretically you could create a skin and apply it to 1 Blog with this feature yes. But if you only allow locking skins to 1 specific user (namely the Blog owner) you could do it with the current IP.Board and Blog.

I still do not understand why the sudden jump to 2.3, I would have expected 2.2.3, look at the difference from 2.0 to 2.1 and 2.1 to 2.2, when compared to 2.3 there is a lot more.

So why the sudden jump?

Why do number matter for one? Second, just because the listed changes seem small, it does not mean that they don't deserve the increment.

Even a single change could justify going from 2.2.2 to 2.3.0. The change may not look any different to users (or to admins, for that matter), but the "Changes to better integrate with IP.Converge" and the "URL skin mapping" deserve to be earmarked with 2.3.0 IMHO.

I agree with this comment. Let's leave the versioning to IPS mmka? They know what they are doing and why and it makes no difference to you if they call it 2.3 or 30.555 or anything else for that matter.

correct me if im wrong but isnt it a bit quick to be jumping the gun to a new release could it nopt just of been 2.2.3 now we have to re write mods etc before we can upgrade when its releasded.

very strange how the last one went upto 2.1.7 but this one just about hit 2 now where goin up a level.

This doesnt really look good to new customers imo, but o well as usual updates every 5 minutes

I'm sorry - there were bugs and things that needed to be changed in the last release, and we released an update to correct those issues. :) It's not meant as an inconvenience to the modders out there. It's meant to keep up to our promises to ALL of our customers to put out a secure, stable, bug-free (as much as possible) product.

As I've said before, we won't stop releasing versions because it causes people to have to upgrade mods. It simply won't happen.

Now, that said, as was posted in the news announcement. 99.99999% of 2.2 mods will still work with 2.3 ;) So much of the code is unchanged, the mods won't even need to be updated.

not the number but the amount of bugs in it, and it is a pain in the arse when you have to update every 5 minutes then wait for mods to get done again

Simple solution - don't install mods. :)

We cater to the greater number of our customers who don't modify the product. We're not going to leave them out in the cold with software containing bugs because 1.6% of our user base will have to reinstall their modifications.

I'm sorry - there were bugs and things that needed to be changed in the last release, and we released an update to correct those issues. :) It's not meant as an inconvenience to the modders out there. It's meant to keep up to our promises to ALL of our customers to put out a secure, stable, bug-free (as much as possible) product.

As I've said before, we won't stop releasing versions because it causes people to have to upgrade mods. It simply won't happen.

Now, that said, as was posted in the news announcement. 99.99999% of 2.2 mods will still work with 2.3 ;) So much of the code is unchanged, the mods won't even need to be updated.

would just be nice to get a break in beetween updates for once though.

ok as far as i understand it version numbers are done like this:

X. = major overhaul
X.x = new feature or addition
X.x.o = bug fixes.

i hope this is right cus thats how i version my mods. Anyways i was wondering how big the changes between 2.2 and 2.3 are, i'm assuming not that big for example the changes between 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 had. I've just assuming overall fixes and tidy up and basically what ips has said changes for coverage but we won't need to go out there and overhaul all mods again will we? i might have to say if this is not the case for arguments sake it might have been easier to keep the 2.2 tagging... all mod forums should be renamed to 2.2/2.3 modifications now :P.

Please.....for the last time....stop getting hung up over a version number. It isn't any of our business nor does it matter how IPS numbers them. It just....doesn't....matttererererere...

I KNOOOOOOOOOW my post was for the benefit of the people above however still got my question in there about mods!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long and short.. People fear change.

It is different from normal. There's a reason for it. Whether the reason makes sense to you is different from whether it makes sense to the people who made the decision.

In the long run, what does it matter? Before Digi mentioned it.. I had forgotten that most 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 mods all worked on 1.3. Why? Because I don't use 1.3 anymore. Click,click,click.. That info was sent to the archives in my brain. There if I really need to think about it, otherwise, not taking up space. Space that can be used to know that 2.2 mods work on 2.3.

Space that can be used to know that 2.2 mods work on 2.3.

that was actually the long and short of it, all i wanted to know. couldn't care less about version numbers but i was more worried about the large bg changes so just wondering if anything extreme had happened :P.

• Management

In most cases, we use point releases to fix bugs.

Although 2.3.0 is mainly a bug fixing exercise, it does also bring a new feature (skin URL remapping), many Converge improvements and significant memory footprint reductions which make it more that a single point release.

For those who complain about the version number, open your

init.php

when it's released.

Find:

define ( 'IPBVERSION', '2.3.0' );

Replace with:

define ( 'IPBVERSION', '2.2.3' );

Is it ok now? ;)

No. :'(

Do you guys expect a long time before release?

• Management

would just be nice to get a break in beetween updates for once though.

2.3 is not a required upgrade so if you are happy with 2.2 you can stay there... as was pointed out the changes in 2.3 are pretty low-level so most mods should work just fine in 2.3 as they did in 2.2.

Archived