Birthday: Hide age and year

Guest Luke

I need to hide globally all my members birthday details also, I swapped over from vbulletin as well and I have members panicing about such private information being shared, with thousands of members on a board already active I cant expect to ask members to all hide their personal details manually, and it seems it can only be done on registration not when you are already a member too which is a major problem, its imperitive for safety concerns with identity theft etc that this information can be managed from the admin cp

please, please condiser this a [u]high security priority[/u][i][/i] in any upgrades

if some one has a solution how i can hide on my members profiles their bday info I would appreciate to no end being enlightened, I can't manage to find the option myself through looking far n wide.

Your reply is innaccurate. Members cannot set their birthday while registering, but CAN set it from their user control panel at any time. So that point was a little backwards.

If a user submits month + day, but not year, their birthday is still honored in IPB 3 (though of course we have no way to calculate age).

Now, in terms of "identity theft" etc., if a user is concerned about data that they willingly posted on a public website being shared, it is my opinion that they shouldn't have posted that data. ;) We do not consider showing a birthday to be a "high security priority".

thanks for informing me of this, all forums I have registered on always require birth date and year details, perhaps next to the field on the ipb board it should state if members wish this information to remain private that they should enter no details, and that submitting information it will be publicly displayed and is not only for administration requirements, it seems to be an auto feature of having to enter this info to become a member of any forum I am aware of.

I eneded up being able to find a help topic on how to manually remove the code from the admin cp and now the information doesnt show on my forum but it should of been considered during developing is the point I was trying to indicate.

IP.Board, out of the box, has no way to collect birthday information during registration. IP.Board DOES support COPPA, which requires us to confirm your age during registration, but that is a different process (and I don't believe the birthday data is retained from COPPA registrations).

• 1 month later...

Hi there

First I would like to ask to the ones complaining about not getting their preffered features if they would appreciate their members complaining on their websites about features they are not getting. Allthough you pay for a license that does not mean you get a custom made product fot for your personal use. IPB is a Commercial Off The Shelf product, that has features to modify within its possibilities whatever you need modified.
Besides that you are able to use addons, modules, hooks etc that other members create. I wonder if you complain to Microsoft as much because it's office suite does not contain your wanted features. If you want something fit for your personal needs, than just build it yourself or do as I do, ask for help if you don't know where to change things.

Leading me to my question for help :whistle:

In Birthday you can choose whether to show year or not. It is however not possible to choose whether to show day or month. I want that to be optional as well. Where can I change this?

Thanks in advance

Elanor

Archived