Do we need the "Please wait while we transfer you" page?

Guest sparc

What's the purpose of this page? If you can just "click here" instead of waiting, i guess i don't see the point of the page since you don't have to wait.

Would it cause any problems if you removed the page?

Thanks

Your search has been completed, please stand by as we take you to the search results.

Please wait while we transfer you...

(

Or click here if you do not wish to wait

)

You can turn it off in the acp, but sometimes the messages are useful (like after registration, if you have no validation) - also it serves as a confirmation screen, if after sending a PM, I am taken straight back the inbox, I would wonder if the message had actually been sent.

You can turn it off in the acp, but sometimes the messages are useful (like after registration, if you have no validation)

Maybe IPB can make it a little more selectable as to where the page shows up.

Because it seems to cause a slowdown in search. Once i removed it from the search, the results showed up that much quicker.

It gives the user immediate feedback. If a page takes some time to render (i.e., if the backend queries are taking awhile), your site would appear to hang after the user clicked a link...or it may just appear that the link click did not work. The user might then click again...which, in some instances, could cause problems. At the very least, it marginally increases the burden on your server.

That said, we have removed it from our site. If you do disable it, I suggest ensuring that you have a flood control value that is at least 5 or so seconds.

• 10 months later...

You can turn it off in the acp, but sometimes the messages are useful (like after registration, if you have no validation) - also it serves as a confirmation screen, if after sending a PM, I am taken straight back the inbox, I would wonder if the message had actually been sent.

I very agree with you! I disabled these redirect pages (I don't need them), but what you said, some of them are useful. For example: Yor private massage has been sent as well.

I'd like new feature: Which redirect pages would you like to disable?

I very agree with you! I disabled these redirect pages (I don't need them), but what you said, some of them are useful. For example: [i]Yor private massage has been sent[/i] as well.

I'd like new feature: [i]Which redirect pages would you like to disable?[/i]

That could be quite awkward with mods which use the feature.

Incidentally, there are two functions, one of them shows the redirect page unless the setting says otherwise (redirect) and one never displays the redirect page (boink) - so - IPB already doesn't use the redirect page where it thinks there is no need for one.

The problem is, as people pointed out, many times the feedback is useful. ESPECIALLY when there is some sort of moderation/validation, otherwise the user just thinks nothing happened. Go submit a post as a user whose posts are moderated and see what happens - you'd think nothing happened when you submitted the form without the page there, because the page serves you notice that your post must be approved, which you don't realize without it.

There's no way we'd be able to make individual pages selectable. We constantly add new things to IPB and would have to maintain that list, which would likely be in the hundreds already.

It's an all or nothing thing. You can turn it off if you want, with the realization that the messages are designed to give users, especially novice users, feedback.

This is so important, it probably should be higher up on the list for any site owner. There's an art to designing a site that is friendly to both yourself, Google crawlers and the people you ultimately want to convert. Without people, what's the point? So first design for them, and then tweak to please the spiders and lastly yourself, not the other way around.

Like bfarber and others have validated, removing those redirects will only cause confusion and chaos to your community. You have to think beyond yourself in this situation and focus more on how it will affect your members and potential members?

many times the feedback is useful. ESPECIALLY when there is some sort of moderation/validation, otherwise the user just thinks nothing happened. Go submit a post as a user whose posts are moderated and see what happens - you'd think nothing happened when you submitted the form without the page there, because the page serves you notice that your post must be approved, which you don't realize without it.

messages are designed to give users, especially novice users, feedback.

You're right. I turned it ON, after two years and I realized that is good thing.

• Management

IPB 3.0.0 will have less redirect 'message' pages and more inline notification.

It's sometimes worth keeping a 'secret' redirect in place to clear out the POST data etc, so if you refreshed, you wouldn't be sending the post form again, etc.

I find these messages annoying, but there is one big problem with turning them off:
When new members click the link in the validation mail they wont get the You are now registered, taking you to the log in form message. They arrive right at the login page and think that something has gone wrong.

Why cant you get logged in directly when you click that link?

I find these messages annoying, but there is one big problem with turning them off:

When new members click the link in the validation mail they wont get the [i]You are now registered, taking you to the log in form[/i] message. They arrive right at the login page and think that something has gone wrong.

Why cant you get logged in directly when you click that link?

Because the user's authentication credentials aren't there for IPB to verify it REALLY is the user.

If somehow the email got swiped or saved, and someone validated someone else's account, not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. If it got stolen, rerouted, stored, or stolen, then a user would then be able to get logged in as another user by clicking a single link - not a very secure thing to do.

Thanks Brandon, at least that is an explanation. But I dont feel that extra security makes up for the the disadvatages.
And look what's written in ACP/Security and Privacy/Lost Password Method:
Please choose which lost password method you wish to use. We recommend using 'Email Random Password' as it's the most secure method. (bold by me)

Having direct login would have saved me for many hours of work, answering questions from new members who think that something went wrong when they were greeted with an error page after clicking the validation link. Most probably even more don't bother to ask and are lost as members.
vB use direct login... :)

Um, I'm afraid that your opinion is VASTLY in the minority. Slight disadvantages in the name of security IS warranted (I am generally speaking, not just about this feature).

I'm afraid ease of use can not trump security. You'd be singing a very different tune if your site was hacked in some manner, I'm sure. ;)

Well, since vB use direct login there must be someone who agrees with me.. )'

But ok, there is also another alternative that give the best of both worlds: When you click at the validation link you arrive at a page that say that the validation was successful and that you should log in.

Well, since vB use direct login there must be someone who agrees with me..

But ok, there is also another alternative that give the best of both worlds: When you click at the validation link you arrive at a page that say that the validation was successful and that you should log in.

Firstly, I just took a look through the code.

The validation routine does try to auto-log the user in. I stand corrected.

If it cannot, then it does the redirect to the login screen.

If you turn off the redirect messages, you lose that message. That's the problem with turning off those screens. As stated before, they are intended to show the user information about what is going on with the site, and by turning them off, the user does not get these messages.

The validation routine does try to auto-log the user in. I stand corrected.

Well, if that's the case it doesn't work. At least it has never worked for me and lots of our members.

If you turn off the redirect messages, you lose that message. That's the problem with turning off those screens.

I know. But this is the only confirmation page I miss, i feel the rest of the is just annoying.
So if that login problem could be fixed that would be even better. Alternatively that a special page is shown telling you the validation was successful and that you have to log in.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived