Bump Topic Feature...

Guest ~Dopey~

Righto, although I'm pretty convinced you're wrong here, how about this:

Bumping posts is not a feature the majority of the license holders would use, so the majority should not be subsidising it's development. That is the most concrete anti-reason for anything that only a minority would use, and I think it applies. Feel free to respond with it to virtually every bad idea that only a minority would use.

Please tell me how many times you have honestly used the "Download this topic' and 'Print this topic" features in IPB? Because I'm glad that my hundreds of dollars have gone to the development for those extremely useful tools. Your argument swings both ways. Not to mention you are pulling the "no one would use it" stat out of your rear end as only like four people have even dived into the conversation.

The 'download' and 'print' options have been in the product for years, since at least 1.3. Maybe they were features that lots of people used back then. Should they remove them now, since we've determined that nobody uses them? Or should we add this bump feature that nearly everybody will turn off just to placate a very vocal vast minority?

The way I see it, there's no reason why this feature needs to be included in the base product, its use is limited to a very select number of boards, boards who I think have forgotten the meaning of what a forum actually is.

Please tell me how many times you have honestly used the "Download this topic' and 'Print this topic" features in IPB? Because I'm glad that my hundreds of dollars have gone to the development for those extremely useful tools. Your argument swings both ways. Not to mention you are pulling the "no one would use it" stat out of your rear end as only like four people have even dived into the conversation.

Well, seeing as how "Download this topic" and "Print this topic" existed back in the days of the FREE version of IPB, I don't see how those are relevant. You'd rather they waste customer money on REMOVING a feature we didn't pay to have included in the first place?

And might I point out that I don't necessarily have to have pulled my opinion (my statement originally said "I think this applies" - I wouldn't use the term statistic to refer to a marginally researched estimate) from this forum? Yes, people do own forums that don't post here... how cool is that?

Have you ever noticed that on most large forums these days, bumping posts is a bannable offense (including here)? Yeah. That'd be where my opinion comes from.

Well, seeing as how "Download this topic" and "Print this topic" existed back in the days of the FREE version of IPB, I don't see how those are relevant. You'd rather they waste customer money on REMOVING a feature we didn't pay to have included in the first place?

And might I point out that I don't necessarily have to have pulled my opinion (my statement originally said "I think this applies" - I wouldn't use the term statistic to refer to a marginally researched estimate) from this forum? Yes, people do own forums that don't post here... how cool is that?

Have you ever noticed that on most large forums these days, bumping posts is a bannable offense (

including here

)? Yeah. That'd be where my opinion comes from.

Thanks for answering my question on how often you have used those features. Did you not answer because you've never used them? Oh well...

I really wouldn't care if they removed them or they stayed, which I'm sure they will always be around, I was just using them as an example. I'm saying that IPB needs to focus on customer retention and start catering for the the larger forums that use their product. If a company just develops pretty graphics, useless features, and never gives the large players what they need then they will just move on. As one of the large forums that use IPB we would just find this nice to have pre-installed.

I'm done bickering on this stupid feature now. :(

'm saying that IPB needs to focus on customer retention and start catering for the the larger forums that use their product.

That comment right there just goes to show that you don't have a clue what is going on. IPS doesn't get all of it's feedback from here. In fact most of their actual "larger forums" and customer send email directly to the senior reps. IPS knows what they are doing and I think they have a pretty good handle on customer retention. Sorry that you don't feel that way just because one little feature that most would agree the web community would frown on is being talked down in this thread. People have a right to their opinions just like you do, it doesn't mean that IPS needs to do or ar lacking anything ;)

Even though I don't use bumps at my site, I like the idea. Should it be a optional feature in IPB? Maybe, maybe not. I do visit a large IPB forum frequently that has a classified section for "Wanted to buy" & "Forsale". Often lets say myself may need to update my ad, I usually do it in the starting post. But what is my solution if my ad is 2-3 pages back and I need to let other members know that it's been updated with new info such as a price reduction? I could post a useless reply, but that irritates me as I hate visiting other forums to see useless replies such as "Bump". Well with this feature, I simply press the bump link and my topic is uninterrupted with the useless reply and is in the number one spot marked as unread.

Another good thing about a bump feature if allowed in specific forums for members to be able to bump others topics in this example of an Tech support site is that you can virtually rid the forums of double posting and those useless replies. I hate double posting with passion. What's that phrase they commonly use? "Anyone????" On a busy forum a persons post can mistakenly get lost in the weeds thus the reason for those useless replies and double posts.

For those of you who expressed you "don't like" the idea, why would you be so concerned to vote against it? If it's an option in the ACP then just don't enable it as you do with the many other features you don't use. IPB is to me versatile, not one-sided.

I see back at post #11 how this topic got sidetracked and maybe IPS should have done something about it, but in my honest opinion and it is just my opinion, I think it's very rude to interrupt someones feedback suggestion with negativity, debate, disapproval & condescending remarks. This is a feedback section for suggestions and as I recall, I did not see a poll asking for votes in this topic. So please show some support or don't bother posting. I wouldn't doubt that the topic starter self esteem has been lowered a notch from some of the bs posts in here.

China, people are entitled to both positive and negative opinions, and are entitled to voice these.

Now, you say that a bump feature would be useful for Classified sections. You're right, absolutely, but forums are not desiged to be used for that purpose. In the IPB world, a classifieds component would be much better suited to your needs there. Those of us who oppose the idea do so because we truly believe this feature is not necessary in the software, and that it would be a waste of our maintenance fees to develop. We do have a vested interest in every feature that goes in, and just because you can turn it off, does not mean that it is an appropriate usage of our product maintenance fees. So yes, ideas we oppose we will post about, regardless of whether it's a poll, and regardless of what you say.

It is absolutely not rude to "interrupt" someone's feature suggestion with debate or commenting, why do you think Feedback is a forum and not a mailbox? Perhaps because IPS would like to see both opinions of a feature?

Your opinion that only support of a suggestion should be allowed reeks of the kind of foolish thinking demonstrated by our government. Recently, they decided they wanted to extend daylight savings. They decided they should go ahead by putting out a petition that only allowed people who supported the idea to sign, and then using it to say "30,000 people we talked to supported the idea" - ignoring how many opposed it. Ironic you should mention one-sided.

Now, we're getting off topic. Say no more.

Yes you are right that people are entitled to their -/+ opinions, but to post in here and say "it's a stupid idea and sucks!!!" is just rude and not called for. I didn't say "debate & commenting" - I said "negativity, debate, disapproval & condescending remarks" - Maybe I should explain that I mean to join in dicussion with bad behavior or flaming.

Honest opinions like the one Michael gave, in all fairness is a reasonalble accessment and opinion/judgement.

My point about it's usefulness just goes to point out the flexible use for it. I'm just saying at minimum it could be used as a moderation maintenance tool. I also did not commit to the idea being an installed feature, I just said I like it and see a good use for it.

Yes, IPB is a forum, but the most flexible one that I ever encountered and the reason a lot of folks choose it over other forum software to build their online social network communties.

And the reference to my opinion to clarify my thoughts was IMO & JMO people should act decent in a feedback suggestion area and not flame people because they don't like the idea. Just don't bother posting that kind of stuff. If I need a good laugh I can go somewhere else.

And yes I do agree, you did go off topic with the one sided bit :whistle:

I've only seen one comment where "It's a stupid idea and sucks". I believe that the rest of the thread was without flaming and completely necessary. Like Kyanar said, we have every right to post our disagreements regarding each and every suggestion. If a new feature is put in, regardless of whether it can be turned off or not, the forum still needs to process the data or store extra data in the tables or add size to the distribution files. So yes, I'll post how I feel to every request. If you don't like that, and would like a one-sided approach to feedback, stick to email. You can send all feedback to IPS directly via email if you like. Just email management. Otherwise, if you want to debate, you'd better be ready with a strong cause. The only time things "get ugly" in threads like these is when people start trying to say that just because some silly little feature is not included already, IPS is losing money, or customers, or doesn't know what they are doing, etc. People that post that sort of stuff have no idea what is going on, and I'll definitely put them in their place with statistics and facts. Hearsay, assumptions, and ridiculous attacks or off-topic comments have no place in a civil debate. If you want it to remain civil, I'd suggest the people that use those tactics grow up a little bit and get educated about the subject they are debating.

Well put Digi. I could see a use for this feature at my clans forums, and maybe in certain support forums. But for the vast majority I would probably disable it and only allow the "premium" members to have access to it.

I know people would abuse it here, if it existed "Help Payment Failed", "I need Help" you would find all the dumb topics bumped constantly by non-customers who find themselves a copy of the software and decide to make this their personal support forum.

I think its about time this needs to be closed. :)

The options are:

1) Its a Standard Feature w/ Turn off Ability
2) We make it a modification, so if you want it, you install it yourself, so what you waste 10 minutes doing edits.

Thank you.

I personally do not like this idea, bumping is one of the most frustrating things ever, even without an explicit bumping feature.

If you as a board admin want to draw attention to something, pin it. :)

I can't see the need for a non-mod/admin to bump their own posts, if they have something constructive to add, they reply and it gets bumped as a result. If they don't have anything constructive to add, chances are they shouldn't be bumping anyway.

That says it all for me, i dislike this suggestion also.

I don't see why the topic needs to be closed. You posted your opinion and that is great, you have every right to do so. I posted mine, which happened to be against, and I get told I shouldn't be doing so? No. Not gonna happen. I have every right to just like you do. Just because I'm against, doesn't make my opinion invalid to the point. That is all I was saying. Regardless, I'm against it completely, no "turn it off" feature. Just don't do it.

That says it all for me, i dislike this suggestion also.

I also dislike it...

Also I can see why it would be useful on forums selling stuff BUT in my opinion you will just get sellers bumping continously to keep their topic at the top and arguments resulting :)

For a situation like this I suggest another alternative to "bumping". Perhaps another form of organization could be added. We have one now that allows sorting based on topic post date. Why not add another that sorts according to topic start date and topic edit date. This way, when you post it the first time it is up there and should you update the information contained, it gets pushed up again. This would be useful for things like events, ads, news, etc. However, like the topic start date order, general posts added to the topic will not cause a bump.

For a situation like this I suggest another alternative to "bumping". Perhaps another form of organization could be added. We have one now that allows sorting based on topic post date. Why not add another that sorts according to topic start date and topic edit date. This way, when you post it the first time it is up there and should you update the information contained, it gets pushed up again. This would be useful for things like events, ads, news, etc. However, like the topic start date order, general posts added to the topic will not cause a bump.

You know, that sounds like an excellent alternative :thumbsup:

Archived