Bump Topic Feature...

Guest ~Dopey~

I'd like to suggest this feature (Bump Topic) :)
I liked it in 1.3 and I think it'd be good in current versions of IPB. Some may disagree with this as I've learnt from past experience but I found it to be quite handy to bump announcements.

look in -http://mods.invisionize.com/index.php for mods. ( I think this is an official IPB site, if not then just edit that out please...) This mod I use in all the IPB sites I set up (2.1.7 and below of course,) and it has an option to set levels to keep noobs from spamming with it. The bump mod is quite handy especially when a site is pleading for donations or giving an important announcement.

A bump buttom would be a great idea with the following restrictions:

• Only the post creator could do the bumping
    The Board Administrator could set a restriction on bumping in that particular forum, eg. Bumping allowed every x hours(leave blank if disabled), this would be in Forum Permissions
    The Board Administrator could set a restriction on how often a user could bump a topic, eg. Bumping allowed every x hours(leave blank if disabled), this would be in User Groups
Bumping isn't nesscary though, a simple reply would do the job.

A bump buttom would be a great idea with the following restrictions:

• Only the post creator could do the bumping
    The Board Administrator could set a restriction on bumping in that particular forum, eg. Bumping allowed every x hours(leave blank if disabled), this would be in Forum Permissions
    The Board Administrator could set a restriction on how often a user could bump a topic, eg. Bumping allowed every x hours(leave blank if disabled), this would be in User Groups

Bumping isn't nesscary though, a simple reply would do the job.

Just make it a per usergroup permission like this:
- Can Bump Own Topic: Yes / No
- Can Bump Other's Topics: Yes / No
- Can Bump Closed Topics: Yes / No
- Can only Bump every [_ 3 _] minutes (enter 0 for no restriction)

i think a bumping idea sucks and its stupid!!!!!

If you think it 'sucks' and it's 'stupid', I'd hate to think what you think about 'Download this topic' *AND* 'Print this topic' -both being standard features (that 99.999% of people will never use)

If you think it 'sucks' and it's 'stupid', I'd hate to think what you think about 'Download this topic' *AND* 'Print this topic' -both being standard features (that 99.999% of people will never use)

Both of those however do not annoy any other users. If you don't want to use them, you can ignore them. If another user uses them, it doesn't affect you. So I don't think thats a fair comparison. ;)

I personally do not like this idea, bumping is one of the most frustrating things ever, even without an explicit bumping feature.

If you as a board admin want to draw attention to something, pin it. :)
I can't see the need for a non-mod/admin to bump their own posts, if they have something constructive to add, they reply and it gets bumped as a result. If they don't have anything constructive to add, chances are they shouldn't be bumping anyway.

Both of those however do not annoy any other users. If you don't want to use them, you can ignore them. If another user uses them, it doesn't affect you. So I don't think thats a fair comparison. ;)

I personally do not like this idea, bumping is one of the most frustrating things ever, even without an explicit bumping feature.

I can't see the need for a non-mod/admin to bump their own posts, if they have something constructive to add, they reply and it gets bumped as a result. If they don't have anything constructive to add, chances are they shouldn't be bumping anyway.

Gaming Clans which advertise on Gaming Forums often bump, but do not add anything constructive. There isn't much you can discuss on a advertisement like that. Thats one example, and you could always turn if off.

The bump feature is quite handy on a high traffic forum much like the one I am an administrator at. We have marketplace forums where people make their topics so they can obtain an item they want. If you want your thread to be seen so someone will buy/trade you for your item, you want it to be in the first half of page one. Now instead of replying they could just bump the topic. It's all about how the bump is used. In this case it is used so a seller/buyer can get attention to their topic. They can't really add anything important to a topic like that once it is created.

Also sometimes good discussions get knocked all the way to page two because minor discussions get replies faster, thus knocking it down. So a bump would be useful in this case. On our forum we don't have problems with annoying bumps as you put it, and we have an average of 500 users active in the past 5 minutes.

Keeping features out of IPB that should be standard can get annoying have to install them with a new version.

p.s. the average forum user does not read stickies

Keeping features out of IPB that should be standard can get annoying have to install them with a new version.

Though I certainly agree with that, I don't agree that bumping threads should be a standard feature. IPB is designed to be a way for a community to interact with each other. Bumping threads as a feature would not encourage interaction, or even facilitate it. It would encourage people pushing their favourite topics to the top, but without contributing anything meaningful to the discussion. If you want to push your favourite topic to the top, then contribute something meaningful.

Though I certainly agree with that, I don't agree that bumping threads should be a standard feature. IPB is designed to be a way for a community to interact with each other. Bumping threads as a feature would not encourage interaction, or even facilitate it. It would encourage people pushing their favourite topics to the top, but without contributing anything meaningful to the discussion. If you want to push your favourite topic to the top, then contribute something meaningful.

That is why in the current bump modification you can stop people from bumping topics which are not their own. So if you want to put an end to the bumping of a certain topic, just send a quick PM to the topic starter as only they and the moderation staff could bump the topic.

Keep it as a modification. I think the general consensus would agree that bumping a topic without constructive responses is overall degrading to a community.
And to the person that said "print view" and "download topic" are unused by most of the populous, you'd be wrong. If it was really that unused, would it be a feature on every piece of forum software? How many have "bump a topic" stock?

So because you can't see a need for it means no one else will have any need for it? On my own board, there have been a number of topics that I needed to bump, but not necessarily pin. I can't see why this feature can't be turned off by default, and then those who need it merely toggle it on.

So because you can't see a need for it means no one else will have any need for it? On my own board, there have been a number of topics that I needed to bump, but not necessarily pin. I can't see why this feature can't be turned off by default, and then those who need it merely toggle it on.

You know, I thought IPB didn't take into account deleted replies when determining the last action date for the date ordering (another reason not to have "bumping" - it's called "Sort By Date" not "Sort By Mostly Date But With Irregularities Because Someone Thought Some Posts Are So Important They Should Be At The Top") - so theoretically you could achieve the desired effect by replying, then deleting the reply. I'd try it, but I dual boot and IPB isn't installed on the OS I'm running (haven't installed MSSQL on this OS yet)

And I don't see why you can't install a modification. :P

See the argument can go both ways. Though, I honestly think that the "no" will win for many reasons stated here already.

All of your reasons why it should remain as a "no" decisions have been easily counterpointed.

Actually they haven't. 3 people have posted stating that there is a "sometimes" chance that they would use this feature in specific forums. Usually related to advertising. How does this trump that your request is unneeded and unused by more than 99% of the community of IPB users? Personally, if they are using forum topics for advertising, they should probably re-evaluate their methods in the first place. But whatever.

i often use the download this topic tool to download topics with unique information that i may not want to lose and lots of other people use it for similar reasons for example saving a handy tutorial. I think the bump topic feature should stay how it is which is nothing more than an addon mod for people who want it, theres no reason to make this default in ipb.

All of your reasons why it should remain as a "no" decisions have been easily counterpointed.

Righto, although I'm pretty convinced you're wrong here, how about this:

Bumping posts is not a feature the majority of the license holders would use, so the majority should not be subsidising it's development. That is the most concrete anti-reason for anything that only a minority would use, and I think it applies. Feel free to respond with it to virtually every bad idea that only a minority would use.

Archived