Profile: Friends, visitors and comments

Guest Nuro

Just upgraded to 2.2.2.

Had a couple of complaints from members who would like to turn off the features of showing who has visited their profile recently, left comments or been added as a friend. Also, they don't like to be seen to have visited someone elses profile.

Any way of disabeling these features? Is it an issue for others?

You're not the first to have mentioned it. You've got the option of turning the profile page back to what it was in v2.1.7, but that's a global option, you can't set it on a per member basis.

If your members don't want to be seen viewing someone else's profile, then they should log in as anonymous. That's what the feature's for.

People at your board will probably get used to it eventually. If you really want to keep the new profile page, but modify it, then perhaps you could ask at IPSBeyond. I don't know if anyone else has attempted this already.

...Why do people make such a fuss about being seen as viewing someones profile????

Some people just value their privacy a bit more.

When IPB comes out with options to turn off friends, comments, visitors and tracability, I'll turn on the new profile. In the meantime, we'll use the older 2.1 interface.

I've had the same complaints about privacy.

Users should be able to disable blocks in their profiles.

Additionally the admin should be able to disable the 'comments' feature. We can disable user ratings, and comments are along those same lines. It can turn forums into a junior high popularity contest. I'd like to disable profile comments completely.

Sure, many Web 2.0 type community sites like Myspace, YouTube, Bebo, Flickr etc. have moderated comments and friends lists.

Trouble is that our communities are not all filled with teenagers. My two forums have members that are mostly middle-aged who were born before the invention of the PC.

What do the developers think about these issues? What do your corporate lawyers say about the privacy issues?

Can we, as admins, have the ability to turn on or off these features individually please?

You can globally turn off or on the profile. If the profile is an issue for you as it is now, turn it off. Our lawyers probably have nothing to say about a general feature (one that can be disabled at that) like this. :)

I can't make any promises or guarantees as to future versions.

Archived