Suggestion for home page: kill corporate, reorg the nav bar

Guest Dave Baker

I sure would prefer to see "Corporate" replaced by "Home" at the top left corner of your home page. "Corporate" sounds very stuffy... that's not Matt's style. Even home pages of corporations should come across as friendly as possible.

This would let you adjust the right-hand nav bar so as to be able to get rid of the fairly useless "Corporate" heading and "Homepage" subheading. Instead of

Corporate
* Homepage
* Company Forums
* Contact Us
* Management
News & Press
Customer Support

it would look nicer and be more clearly written as

Home
Company Forums
Contact Us
Management
News & Press
Customer Support

Also, while we're looking at that nav bar, why not use "Community" instead of "Company Forums"? You want to be showing off how your software provides community to a site:

Home
Community
Contact Us
Management
News & Press
Customer Support

Also, what about the ordering ... you don't want prospective customers diving right into the deep pool of company forums right away ... instead show 'em your favorable news and press. And then show 'em how your commitment to customer support is a big priority (i.e., it's not the last thing on the list). A better order would be:

Home
News & Press
Customer Support
Community
Contact Us
Management

For what it's worth, the "Corporate" wording has long since perplexed me. It is extremely rare to see it used in such a context these days. It was fashionable (just) when many who owned company websites believed that the more rigidly they wrote and the more "corporate speak" they used, the more professional they appeared. These days, however, it serves only to confuse, as most of the web has realised that we humans like to be addressed as humans. More so as it has become more and more rare that we are.

What possible sense can it have, within a usability perspective, to use the word "Corporate" in a navigation structure?

Archived