IPS FAQ for Server Configuration

Guest MaNiAc LRSC

Many people have IPB running on the own server, not few of them IPB only.

That's why it would be very useful for me and surely for many other professional IPB users (who pay for this software), that invision gives clear information, which configuration of php (modules, threaded or not etc) and Apache2 (modules, preforking, worker etc) is optimum for IPB stability and performance. Since you guys coded this forum you know best whats good and whats not.

So if a PHP worker configuration is less stable than a fork config, i need this info from you, since i'm not a beta-tester for evaluating software stability. Try and error is not an option.

This would be a perfect addition to the IPB FAQ.

• Management

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. IPB does not require any special server software other than MySQL and PHP. As for tweaking Apache and MySQL configurations, it's simply not possible for us to do so as each instance is different. An optimal configuration should be devised based on the server specs, number of simultaneous users, what else is being used, etc. Those are all things that can be determined and tweaked accordingly by any competent system administrator - there's nothing IPB specific involved in the equation.

With that said, we can work up some general tips to get better performance -- noting that not all servers, configuration or sites are created equal.

Hello,

i'm not talking about php and apache configuration, but COMPILING.
I don't need a best "apache.conf" or something. I want to know how apache and php should be compiled for best IPB performance.
That's server independent and depends only on your forum software.

I hope i could claerify what i mean.

• Management

IPB doesn't require specific compile options or modules (unless you wish to take advantage of GD features, etc.) Is there something specific you're having a problem with that prompted this or are you just curious if you're getting the most from the software?

IPB is merely a PHP web application - it doesn't require anything special on your server. If you need help compiling PHP and Apache to get to the point where you can run IPB, I'd highly suggest you enlist the services of a sysadmin or if you feel comfortable, do a google for a tutorial - there are many available on the net. That's not really within the scope of IPB support. :)

Hello,

i'm not talking about php and apache configuration, but COMPILING.

I don't need a best "apache.conf" or something. I want to know how apache and php should be compiled for best IPB performance.

That's server independent and depends only on your forum software.

I hope i could claerify what i mean.

I'm working on a guide for high PHP/HTTP Daemon performance. Interested?

• 1 month later...

I think it would be fair to say that if you are experiencing high loads, you should submit a ticket so we can take a look at why. :) It could be, for all I know, a certain php configuration or php extension or version or (insert any random thing here) that I've just not tested/run across.

Some of this kind of thing could be related to the bug report I filed this morning. In suhosin patched php "ini_set"("memory_limit" "") is blocked and reported as an exploit attempt in both the apache log and the system log. If you read www.webhostingtalk.com for a while you'll realize that a lot of people selling hosting are middlemen who are just in it for the money and really don't know what they doing as far as system administration goes. All they know is if they see too many warning messages from any one client they pull the plug.

If it's part of your hosting contract that you not run processes larger than 30-50 megs and you repeated run a script that tries to set the memory limit to 128M, a host could get annoyed.

I actually experienced a little tiny hiccup with IPB and that was simply with the PHP Memory Limit. 2MB was too small for IPB to do its job properly so I up'd it to 3 and it worked! Besides that, it hasn't had any changes as far as loads or anything like that.

With that said, we can work up some general tips to get better performance -- noting that not all servers, configuration or sites are created equal.

I think this is a great idea. Plus including some basic troubleshooting for servers running IPB. I'm sure you guys get server issues reported in tickets all the time when they're not IPB issues. Some of them are probably reported over and over.

So far I can give three tips

Ditch apache, requires too much memory and cpu...

Tune MySQL

Use mysam tables, but make ibf_sessions in heap, I also use a shoutbox on one site and I put its table in heap.

The guide I still havent finished as it also is including OS installation, haven't choose the best server OS yet

Archived