Usage: How do I make a profile private?

Guest immortality

Ive updated the forums to v 2.2.1.

Fast enough, I have a member complaining and very angry at the fact that all the new information shows. Friends list/comments/etc.

I don't want to use the classic profile design, I like it very much as it is. Is there any way that only one member can use the classic design and the rest of the more than 7k people the new design?

Thanks.

Ive updated the forums to v 2.2.1.

Fast enough, I have a member complaining and very angry at the fact that all the new information shows. Friends list/comments/etc.

I don't want to use the classic profile design, I like it very much as it is. Is there any way that only one member can use the classic design and the rest of the more than 7k people the new design?

Thanks.

No, you can entirely disable the new profile views, in the ACP. Otherwise you can tell them to suck it up.

Why are you posting this here? This isn't a support forum, and all posts like this are closed. Did you read the message above?

I think YOU didnt read it.

But I'll help you out:

Have a suggestion or feedback?

Post it here. Thanks!

There. This post is now a suggestion for Invision people. :)

Then this can be a nice suggestion for version 2.2.2 :)

The ability to let the user or the ability for the admin to create a uer group that uses classic profile in order to keep things more private.

Thanks.

My members are primarily concerned about the public viewing of the contact/friends list. To a lesser degree are the comments. Hence any ability to somehow restrict this use via an admin option or member option would be an improvement.

Yeah - private profiles, viewable to friends only - would be nice.

If someone accesses a profile, the only thing displayed is that box with the avatar and member group, and then underneat, "this profile is set tp private - add as friend"

Yup, that'd be cool

Yeah - private profiles, viewable to friends only - would be nice.

If someone accesses a profile, the only thing displayed is that box with the avatar and member group, and then underneat, "this profile is set tp private - add as friend"

Yup, that'd be cool

I agree - that would be a neat idea!

Or the user in question could just not use the friends or comments area. They can just turn them on to be approval only and just never approve any friend or comments requests :)

Except that the ones (contacts) from pre-conversion were converted to friends. I, as admin, deleted all except my co-admin. However I cannot expect all my members to do this at once. Thus I had to revert to the old style profile. Possibly on a new board, this might work.
For some boards, privacy is an important issue. The real question remains - Why should a member's contact list be public automatically?

Or the user in question could just not use the friends or comments area. They can just turn them on to be approval only and just never approve any friend or comments requests :)

Thing is, they are contacts, not friends themselves. They were created after the conversion (as explained above by sunrisecc).

Also, if she deletes them from the friends list, then they wont be in the contact list anymore!
She wants to have her "contacts" but not her new "friends" everyone can see. :) Also, she doesnt like the idea of the comments (though we know that can be set to "approve") or the list of people that saw your profile...

Basically, I think it could be a nice idea to have private profiles as well as public ones...

Thanks.

Hello !

I made a mistake and gave my point of view in a new topic (http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=231425&pid=1457796). I would like to post it here too :

I do like the new profile system. But, like nearly all my board's members, I'm very much concerned with the privacy problems it causes :

In IPB 2.2.1, members in the contacts list become Friends in the Profile system, and it seems like everybody can see my friends in my profile.
I feel there is a privacy problem : I don't want all members to know who are my friends or favorite friends and thus who belong to my contact list... I don't care very much in fact, but I feel like there is a problem.

I know I can use the old system, but in fact, I would like these features to become private or not public, and be configurable (enabled-disabled) by members.

Regarding privacy, I would also add something else : a member should be able to visit a profile anonymously, without being anonymous on the board. My board's members first complained about this, and I understand that they don't like being "tracked".

Thank you ! :)

Archived