blocking spambots

Guest T22

I know that VBulletin has this implemented for new people that register, does IPB have this or will they have this soon?

When you register you have to go to a screen that tell you to:

"You need to make any entry into this field so the system knows you are not just an automated spam bot"

thanks

Yes indeed. You have three options for Spambot protection. Standard, which is somewhat simple to bypass for spambots, but offers protection against the majority of weak underfunded spammers (and only requires GD1). Advanced, which requires GD2, and (from 2.2 onwards) has yet to be cracked by a spambot (2.1 and below have been). And, of course, none (not recommended)

In addition you should check out the (for many boards) very effective custom profile trick: http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=987654321

I'm not sure how useful this vB method will prove to be. I think anything that's standardized like that, not even anything particular required to fill in, is going to be figured out and then you can just add the routine to one script in order to spam on a thousand boards.

Archived