Problems with layout?

Guest PC-fre@k

Yeah, I'm getting major messed-up layouts there. It doesn't seem to be bumped right 300px, it's more like the entire page is corrupted. I'll try and get some screenies...

I have tested this on my Mac, using Firefox 3.0 nightly, Camino 1.0.3, and Safari. I get problems on the Gecko ones, but oddly enough, not Safari. I'll try testing on my PC when I get the chance.

It might have something to do with that topic being absolutely ancient, and a couple of the posters no longer existing. In fact, it seems to have something to do with everything nesting under "guest" posts that contain a quote. And as I said, Safari seems to render everything fine.

These images were taken on Camino, but Firefox looks exactly the same.

A nested post type thing, not caused by a guest poster. Doesn't seem to affect the rest of the topic.
layoutbug1.jpg

The first guest post with a quote, all posts afterwards are inside this one
layoutbug2.jpg

A second guest quote, now all posts are double-nested
layoutbug3.jpg

The bottom of the page, all the board footer and stuff seems to be inside the post area.
layoutbug4.jpg

It's because that post was made in 2003, before the newer quote/code style, and the post simply hasn't been rebuilt (and likely won't - we have too many posts to bother).

so this wont be a problem for people with old forums (old posts) ?
the rebuil post tool will correct any problem such as this?

Yes, it should. It's using the old CSS styles for those old quotes...I don't think the rebuild posts was every run, or at least it didn't finish that topic.

Doesn't this in the default CSS control the old styles though?

* ========================================
 * old school quote and code styles - backwards compatibility 
 * ========================================
 */

#QUOTE,
#CODE{  
    background: #8598D6; 

border: 1px solid #000; 
    color: #465584; 
    font-family: Verdana, Arial; 
    font-size: 11px; 
    padding: 2px; 
    white-space: normal;
}

#CODE{ 
    font-family: Courier, "Courier New", Verdana, Arial;
}

It's something to do with html comments, the old quotes system used to put something like <!--poster name -> (the html comment wasn't properly closed) when quoting someone. it didn't effect IE from what i remember only standard compliment browsers. nothing to do with CSS. :blink:

Archived