Number of Rates

Guest TestingSomething

This is a good idea, as the profile rating system stands - the ratings don't mean anything.

Someone could have a 5 star rating, yet they could've only been rated once. Then someone else could have a 5 star rating yet they had been rated 50 times. It makes no sense.

This is a good idea, as the profile rating system stands - the ratings don't mean anything.

Someone could have a 5 star rating, yet they could've only been rated once. Then someone else could have a 5 star rating yet they had been rated 50 times. It makes no sense.

Also, I think in member list when you sort by rating, it should then secondarily sort by number of rates where someone with 1 vote of 5 stars isnt ahead of someone with 100 votes. Honestly the BEST thing would probably be like how I suggested for gallery, that there be a minimum number of rates before they count towards it for member list and profile.

How about you just get rid of it altogether?

If ever a feature on here could be classified as totally useless, this is it!

Just what is it for, what's the point?

You have a disagreement with someone and they go and rate you one point, what does that tell the rest of the members, that you deserved a low rating, or the person who gave it to you?

Take the author of this thread, basher, he has a rating of two, now, is that a fair assessment of his worth to this forum?

What exactly does two stars mean anyway, that someone is a serial spammer who constantly stuffs his forum up and blames others? Is this fair?

The Whirlpool Forum, written by the owner, has a rating system that is viewable only to you, rating can be good or bad, and they are a personal reference, you rate them, you see your ratings, not other member's ratings. That also seems a little pointless to me, but it's 100 times better than this one.

:thumbsup:

Last I heard IPB 2.2 is feature locked so we won't be seeing any new features in teh script for awhile. Might want to suggest this in the feature suggestion forum

Isn't a feature more than just touching up a feature. But I do doubt they will do it.

As for the whole rating thing being useless, there should be an option to turn it off... (but actually I think there already is one to turn it off, or group settings to allow who can rate members, I cant remember). On some sites it may be fun to have. Really it all depends on how people would use it though. It just tells who is liked most on the forums I guess.

If the members had more control with personal CONTENT on their profiles, it could be a rate of their profile.

• 5 months later...

I quite like this feature. Though I wondered if one person can rate a person more than once? i.e. If I rated someone 5 stars and then at a later date rated them 1 star, would that average out at 3 stars or just amend my previous rating?

Archived