Can't upgrade 2.17 to 2.2 rc3

Guest bhodges

I backed up my board and uploaded the 2.2 files as stated in the instructions. Pretty simple.

I load the upgrade/ page and try to login with my normal admin account. The account is not locked.

I get the error 'You do not have access to the administrative CP'.

I use that account, the primary board admin account, to log into the CP all the time.

Any idea on what might cause this? I couldn't find any other topics with this problem.

Klass, that mgroup was the trick. Mine was 3, always has been. There were no level 4s at all.

I changed it to 4 and after a couple permission changes on some folders it seems to be working fine.

What's the difference between 3 and 4?

Thanks for the tip!

Klass, that mgroup was the trick. Mine was 3, always has been. There were no level 4s at all.

I changed it to 4 and after a couple permission changes on some folders it seems to be working fine.

What's the difference between 3 and 4?

Thanks for the tip!

IPB makes some assumptions about some of the special groups (Members, Root Administrators, Validating, and Banned). If you look at the bottom of conf_global.php, you can see these. (Here is mine as an example):

$INFO['banned_group'] = '5';
$INFO['admin_group'] = '4';
$INFO['guest_group'] = '2';
$INFO['member_group'] = '3';
$INFO['auth_group'] = '1';

IPB 2.1.7 didn't actually have these in conf_global, so 2.2 adds them there. Now for your 2.1.7 installation, Root Admin was group 3. Now, in 2.2, because IPB didn't know what it was, it assumed 4 because conf_global said so. That said, what you probably SHOULD have done, was change teh "admin_group" in conf_global.php to match your existing admin group rather than changing your members to match conf_global.

Archived