Suggestions for today (10.5.2006)

Guest Keven Fox

Here's a couple in addition to the many ideas/suggestions I've had already.
Some of these are based on modifications for 2.1 previously.

• Forum Permissions where the poster and staff (or whomever) can see their own topics but not other people's. I forget where I saw this but it was great for a reporting/contact staff area, and has potential for alot of other stuff.
  • After total members it would be nice to see Active members, which in the ACP you could set which groups it bases it on. For example I could have it exclude my "inactive" membergroup. active.JPG
  • It's nice we have the group formatting where it shows the group, how about the name too (in posts)?
  • AJAX fast reply. Yes I know you've stated you don't like the idea. However when I'm at a vB site I can't get over the fact that posting with fast reply shows my post like "magic" without refreshing. I think it would be useful.

Please post new feature suggestions in the IPB feature suggestions forum. :)

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showforum=285

IPB 2.2 is already feature locked.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...t&p=1427036

Keep the suggestions coming, they're all welcome.

although maybe he just meant for the quick edit buttons?

Anyway my suggestions were minute enough I thought that they could still be done in 2.2?

No, unfortunately they're not as minute as you think. ;) It takes time to add all those new features in, and then it has to go through beta testing again, and so on.

When he said that, what he meant (and I'm sure Matt will correct me if I'm wrong) is suggestions on how to enhance/clarify/improve the already added features/layout in IPB 2.2. Not new features to add. Otherwise, 2.2 would never get out. :D lol

No, unfortunately they're not as minute as you think. wink.gif It takes time to add all those new features in, and then it has to go through beta testing again, and so on.

When he said that, what he meant (and I'm sure Matt will correct me if I'm wrong) is suggestions on how to enhance/clarify/improve the already added features/layout in IPB 2.2. Not new features to add. Otherwise, 2.2 would never get out. grin.gif lol

Why the rush to release, we are all happy with 2.1.7 at the moment, why release a new version without items just to get it out, why not take the time and release one hell of a version in one good bang. Personally I think you do a good job, but release after release, really does get tedious. Were as one good release would really send the competition reeling. My personal opinion anyway.

Why the rush to release, we are all happy with 2.1.7 at the moment, why release a new version without items just to get it out, why not take the time and release one hell of a version in one good bang. Personally I think you do a good job, but release after release, really does get tedious. Were as one good release would really send the competition reeling. My personal opinion anyway.

2.1.7 compared to 2.2.0 is not secure, thats why we want IPB 2.2.0, they also have already been coding 2.2.0 for over a year, its time for another release.

Plus its already in Beta Testing, so its to late, and 2.2.0 was far from rushed like I said its been over a year.

Vbulletin 3.6.0 was released within months after 3.5.0, while its nice to get new features that fast, I would rather have fewer new features but a more secure product so its worth the wait.

To give you an idea of how long its been:
Sep 13 2005, 10:00 AM
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=188654
Its been over a year, which is sort of funny, because it was exactly 1 year and 7 days to the release of IPB 2.2.0 Beta 1 :blink:

We want IPB 2.2.0 because of the security changes, trust me...I am of course not saying IPB 2.1.7 is not secure but compared to IPB 2.2.0 even staff have said its better.

If you have noticed vB has released 2 security updates in the past 3 weeks. IPB is more stable then that. and with vB doing all this you have template edits you have to do so on vB if you have a hack installed that requires a template eidt of a template that has been updated. you have to continue to update as vB puts out new stuff.

Look at it this way IPB is probibly one of the stable scruipts I have used and barliy had to upgrade so much from version to version. Its a nice stable script. I use Ikonboard on another one of my siteces and soon to swithc it to Invisonbboard because of the load time and can have a "Forums" folder instead of the cgi-Bin folder. So its good to see IPB take its time with release less to worry about and more easy to work with.

I think withon a week vB released 3.6.1 then just yesturday 3.6.2.. good thing about it is that IPB when they releasce an update its only 1 or a few files with vB its the entire script.

If you have noticed vB has released 2 security updates in the past 3 weeks. IPB is more stable then that. and with vB doing all this you have template edits you have to do so on vB if you have a hack installed that requires a template eidt of a template that has been updated. you have to continue to update as vB puts out new stuff.

Look at it this way IPB is probibly one of the stable scruipts I have used and barliy had to upgrade so much from version to version. Its a nice stable script. I use Ikonboard on another one of my siteces and soon to swithc it to Invisonbboard because of the load time and can have a "Forums" folder instead of the cgi-Bin folder. So its good to see IPB take its time with release less to worry about and more easy to work with.

I think withon a week vB released 3.6.1 then just yesturday 3.6.2.. good thing about it is that IPB when they releasce an update its only 1 or a few files with vB its the entire script.

I don't judge the security updates for Vbulletin being released, also don't judge the speed they release new versions due to the fact I don't know how long they really had been working on it.

Please post new feature suggestions in the IPB feature suggestions forum. :)

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showforum=285

IPB 2.2 is already feature locked.

Why so early? It's just on Beta 2 stage. I thought the RC1 suppose to be so call "Feature" locked down and only fix bugs at RC stage. Not on Beta's?

I'm not catching how you guys are doing it....

Beta1, Beta2, Beta3, Final? :P

It's feature complete at the BETA stage, which is not as early as you might think since the private testers have been testing the ALPHA versions for quite awhile now. They had a security audit before the first public BETA so adding new features now would make that pointless.

RC is a release candidate as in, a potential version for final.

AND 2.2 beta 1. The patch blocks avatars in admin cp member search. If you have 2.2 beta 1 you can see that avatars show up in there, but in beta 2 they don't.

I think you mis-read it. It said that it removed it from the search for 2.1 as a security fix. That fix is temporary. In 2.2 the avatars do turn up in the search... The security issue is not relevant in 2.2 at all.

I think you mis-read it. It said that it removed it from the search for 2.1 as a security fix. That fix is temporary. In 2.2 the avatars do turn up in the search... The security issue is not relevant in 2.2 at all.

Avatars don't turn up in search in beta 2! It was 100% Relevant in beta 1.

Archived