Why were the "complete edit" and "cancel edit" but

Guest Gogf

In Beta 2, the "complete edit" and "cancel edit" buttons in the AJAX edit were switched. This is confusing and has almost led me to cancel my edit, losing what I wrote, twice. What exactly was the purpose of this change?

It was, of course, to disorientate you to the point at which you would be unable to point out so many flaws in 2.2's design :)

Fair point :P. However, I should note that I'm only giving my opinion so that we can have the best version of IPB possible!

Do they not make more sense as they are now? It follows a 'standard' where the 'OK' button is to the right of the 'NOT OK' button.

Perhaps for popup windows, but it breaks with the tradition of buttons for forum posting. At least on IPB, the "add reply" button is always to the left of the "preview post" button. I never even thought of the AJAX edit as a popup window, it just always seemed like a standard forum box.

I don't have a problem with it being on the right, per se, but the change itself is disorienting, confusing, and doesn't seem particularly necessary.

Do they not make more sense as they are now? It follows a 'standard' where the 'OK' button is to the right of the 'NOT OK' button.

But you created a "standard" yourself when you first made the quick edit feature, changing it now is just making the feature irritating.

As someone else has already said anyway, it isn't like that on the forms within IPB.

But you created a "standard" yourself when you first made the quick edit feature, changing it now is just making the feature irritating.

As someone else has already said anyway, it isn't like that on the forms within IPB.

+1 yeah, not to mention how we could tab and hit space to complete it before.

Seems we've lost that with alot of things and they are coming back. Topics, then Fast Reply. Those work now though again.

• Management

I've switched it back.

I still think it's more logical to have it the 'new' way but I do understand that some might find that confusing. Again, it's entirely templatable so you can change it back if you wanted to.

I've switched it back.

I still think it's more logical to have it the 'new' way but I do understand that some might find that confusing. Again, it's entirely templatable so you can change it back if you wanted to.

Thanks Matt. :thumbsup: It's just that after a year of it being the old way my hand automatically moved the mouse to where the button should be, only to find the cancel button instead. I'd lost quite a few posts that way since the change. I'm glad it's back to normal. :D

I'll see about adding in a tab index to that 'button' too.

Keep the suggestions coming, they're all welcome. :)

Thanks Matt, I know you've working very hard lately and I hope you know we appreciate it.

Question, do these changes get updated to the download or will you wait for Beta 3?

Thanks for the change. what do you mean by tab index to that "button" ? :unsure:

Without a tab index, tabbing to the button takes ages (if you can get to it at all) because tab indices specify what order "Tab" moves through controls. Controls that don't have one would take LAST priority over controls that do.

Archived