"Reason for editing"

Guest Luke

I decided to install it. Dont particularly like how it was implemented. The "Edit By Line" and "Reason for Edit" should be combined in both view and interface... Having the two separated is a bit confusing... if not a tad off.

Very nice. I like the implementation. :)

For my board i would probably skin the color of the text in the box the same color as my moderators on the member list.
So, if my moderators were purple color on the member list, i'd probably change the color of the text to that.

Yes, with it edited by should automatically show and also like I said, both should be in the box, one on top of the other. but should bbe easily skinned to look thatw ay.

The reason for editing box is located in the CSS, right? Assuming it is, it shouldn't be too hard to move both into the box.

Well I tried a little and here is what happened. lol See i got the line in it, but it has variables in it. Also the other edited line remained above. Why, you ask? Because IPB does not have the edited by line in a template, they describe where it goes in the topic.php file. So somehow someone would have to figure out how to get it into the renderrow template and then just delete a tiny bit in topic.php where it won't automatically be put into the post.

Also I was even trying a cool new twist. I was making an else statement where if the person DOES NOT have the box checked to include the edited by statement, then a default statement would show, stating: "This post has been edited anonymously".

editedby.JPG

Well for me having this feature is one more thing to turn me off of 2.2. Its to much like bulletin and I don't even use it when I mod on those board. Its pointless as you can easy edit the topic to say whatever you want to say. I can see why you would want it not to be remove by the poster, but then again it still a really pointless feature that adds little value to the software itself.

I'm starting to notice lot of new "features" of 2.2 are copies of the latest vbulletin. Not to say that IPS is copying them, IMO IP.Board is much better software over vbulletin. I'm not saying this because I'm a IPB user either. I have used both and I can tell you if I had a choice I would pick IP.Board and the only things that really break the two part are two things for me I find very important.

1. ACP, IPB has a better overall interface that's easy to understand, vbulletin doesn't
2. IPB has the right features in all the right places, vbulletin has to many unless features that either end up getting removed or are turn off.

In those 2 things, the first one is only value to me as a admin because normal members and mod never see it so it has no value to them as how usable IPB is. The 2nd one however is as much of value to me to the common web user. I find lot of vbulletin boards to be full of common questions and problems in terms of users not know how to use something or lot of features going unused. I've never once been on a IPB where someone didn't understand how to use a feature or once has IPB come with a feature I did not at least try.

This is speaking 2.1, in 2.2 just from a visitors stand point of using IPS forums here (have not even tested admin side of things yet) I can tell you lot of these new features are confusing as hell and lot seems to be just added because everyone else has it.

This new reason for editing is on of those features that is just added because everyone else has it. Most of the users of IP.Board will not use it unless they are force to use it (example you can't edit a post unless you fill it out). So I hope this like a few other things will be remove because it has little value to the software as a whole. That is of course my opinion.

Well for me having this feature is one more thing to turn me off of 2.2. Its to much like bulletin and I don't even use it when I mod on those board. Its pointless as you can easy edit the topic to say whatever you want to say. I can see why you would want it not to be remove by the poster, but then again it still a really pointless feature that adds little value to the software itself.

I'm starting to notice lot of new "features" of 2.2 are copies of the latest vbulletin. Not to say that IPS is copying them, IMO IP.Board is much better software over vbulletin. I'm not saying this because I'm a IPB user either. I have used both and I can tell you if I had a choice I would pick IP.Board and the only things that really break the two part are two things for me I find very important.

1. ACP, IPB has a better overall interface that's easy to understand, vbulletin doesn't

2. IPB has the right features in all the right places, vbulletin has to many unless features that either end up getting removed or are turn off.

In those 2 things, the first one is only value to me as a admin because normal members and mod never see it so it has no value to them as how usable IPB is. The 2nd one however is as much of value to me to the common web user. I find lot of vbulletin boards to be full of common questions and problems in terms of users not know how to use something or lot of features going unused. I've never once been on a IPB where someone didn't understand how to use a feature or once has IPB come with a feature I did not at least try.

This is speaking 2.1, in 2.2 just from a visitors stand point of using IPS forums here (have not even tested admin side of things yet) I can tell you lot of these new features are confusing as hell and lot seems to be just added because everyone else has it.

This new reason for editing is on of those features that is just added because everyone else has it. Most of the users of IP.Board will not use it unless they are force to use it (example you can't edit a post unless you fill it out). So I hope this like a few other things will be remove because it has little value to the software as a whole. That is of course my opinion.

IPB 2.2 has taken a lot of features from vB 3.6, but vB 3.5 took a lot of features from IPB 2.1.

Archived