To upgrade or not.

Guest theclub

After a good look around l've decided to stick with 2.1.7.

Some of the new features are turning this into a kid's playground, l hate things like "My Friends", it's too immature for words, and can't be turned off, the same goes for the new Profile, but at least that can be tossed.

When l see all the suggestions made for this version that didn't get in, and those that did, l have to wonder where this is heading, a Rupert Murdoch buyout?

When you add this to the obvious muddle to come over modifications that will all have to be updated, (remember the D2 Downloads debacle?), and the skins we've spent days and weeks making, an upgrade is looking quite unattractive.

l'll wait and see what version 3.0 has to offer.

:cool:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm upgrading once it hits final. I'd rather stay secure and up to date, whether there are features that I hate are in the software or not.

Same. Ill just disable the features I dislike. Im sure modders will make this much easier, and improve areas where IPS left out :)

Why wouldn't I upgrade, they paid a good pile of green backs to have security firm ( no idea which firm, but lets face it, even the worst security firm would have a leg up on security ), that fact alone is worth the upgrade. Infact I would be honest, if they would release lets say 2.1.8 and it contained the new security features, I would use that but not because I don't like the features of 2.2.x but because its been well tested.

I assume they paid with money, who knows what kind of deal they had :devil:

So far I have seen no advantages to upgrading. The overwhelming loss of mods and custom skins still outweigh the 'improvements' that were made. Unfortunately the main problems with IPB is the limit of one attachment at a time... when most forums have members whom wish to upload mulitple photos, is really becoming a problem. I won't rush to the competition which are much cheaper and has more of the features members desire, (perhaps not what admin always wants... but site owners and admin do not make a forum.. it's the members...) as IPB is still a good program that I have invested into many many sites with.

With bandwidth becoming cheaper and storage online even more cost effective, the idea of overusing ajax, which fails more often than not in many browsers and such, is getting confusing. 2.1.7 over-uses it already and with the advent of 2.2, it is even worse. So much for palm type handhelds or cell phones that have 'true' web browsing in them... I can not even view the new 2.2 on mine. On a photography type forum, lo-fi is kind of a joke.

Not to say I will never upgrade. It is just not cost effective nor are any of the new features what members want at this time. And if one upgrades for security reason alone, ajax is so full of holes that one could drive a fleet of semi trucks thru them... I have been running longhorn/Vista for 2 years now in beta. Will I upgrade my home pc or set up friends for Vista? sure.. in about another year when the rest of the bugs get out of it and they design a layout that is closer to XP and one familiar to my family and friends. The same holds true to 2.2 as even the simplist things like making a post and trying to figure out how to make a word bold is changed. Rule one.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Add to it, sure (with the option to turn it off)... but LEAVE what was there!

After a good look around l've decided to stick with 2.1.7.

Some of the new features are turning this into a kid's playground, l hate things like "My Friends", it's too immature for words, and can't be turned off, the same goes for the new Profile, but at least that can be tossed.

When l see all the suggestions made for this version that didn't get in, and those that did, l have to wonder where this is heading, a Rupert Murdoch buyout?

When you add this to the obvious muddle to come over modifications that will all have to be updated, (remember the D2 Downloads debacle?), and the skins we've spent days and weeks making, an upgrade is looking quite unattractive.

l'll wait and see what version 3.0 has to offer.

:cool:

alot of the same features will be in 3.0 I mean why delay the inevitable. alot of the stuff like my Friends, the profile View, all this can be turned off its not hurting anything to have them. I agree they need to shcne the profile View to use the old them but use some of the new features. my main thing is the gallery box I want that int he old profile view

I'll probably upgrade. First I would need to rework my skin since they changed the variables around in the template editor and I would wait till at least a release candidate before trying to update my skin, I would never develop on a beta product. However, I don't think I will change my perpetual license despite the new pricing. There just isn't enough incentive to change to the new license because so far:

-The download manager will not be included, which I was really hoping for and I hope IPS will reconsider this
-Also the fact that it is actually more beneficial to buy the package now then it is for current owners to upgrade. $100 to get the gallery and blog just seems like a lot since their normal pricing makes them $115 combined which doesn't seem like a discount to current lifetime/perpetual owners even though you end up saving in the renewal costs you lose out in the up-front costs because the difference between a perpetual license and the plan is $64, and on top of that, I was even told that if you upgrade in the middle of a renewal period that you forfeit your support renewal fee for that year.

When I first saw 2.2 I said there is no way I am upgrading. My decision still stands the same. I am really disappointed with this release and I'm still scratching my head whether buying a perptual license for IPB was the right choice rather than choosing to go with vBulletin. It seems many more professional sites are choosing to use vBulletin. But I will not go off into that.

First notice was how inconsistent the layout for IPB is getting. Everything looks so clunky and looks like things are just added here and there to make things work. For example the transition between each posts looks awful. The spacing is huge due to the new profile card thing. I like how vBulletin everything looks very consistent.

Next the RTE looks horrible. All the buttons are "different sizes" and look like they were designed by my 8 year old brother. When I toggle the sidepanel the thing looks all fudged up in Firefox. And whats with all the bevel and weird gradients on it? It just looks so messy and unprofessional. Those buttons don't even really match the default skin...

The new profile page.. don't even get me started. This is a forum software. I don't think so much focus should be made into making the next myspace in everyone's forum. I don't think the focus of a forum should be the user profile but the forum! Have people focus on the threads and posts and interact with each other in threads no in everyone's personal page.

I just don't see anything valuable in this release and it just looks inconsitent with what IPB has been doing in the past. It doens't look like some of the core issues peopel brought up were addressed looks like IPB just went off on a tangent off to who knows where. I really hope 3.0 will really make up for all this.. or I am going to be even more disappointed with my perpetual license...

Those were just things off the top of my head.. never realy took the time to sit down and put them into coherent arguments but i'm sure you'll get most of my stuff..

Archived