A suggestion on board usage and availability

Guest richstar

Due to the changes in the license fees, is there a potential market for having an IPS sponsored board only hosting deal that costs say $5 a month for hosting a board on IPS servers, without providing the customer and web space other than the bare minimum to support the board and a modest amount say 10mb for uploaded attachments and avatars? I am aware there is a hosting deal priced at $28 a month which includes a mutant version of the board tied to IPS servers, but that sort of money is unrealistic compared to the current quality hostsed under $10 per month.

I feel that with the change, which I am sure is for a good reason, the market for IPB amongst hobbyists would collapse.

My rationale is that VMWare also had what they called a student or hobbyist license that did not provide tech support beyond installation only.

Due to the changes in the license fees, is there a potential market for having an IPS sponsored board only hosting deal that costs say $5 a month for hosting a board on IPS servers, without providing the customer and web space other than the bare minimum to support the board and a modest amount say 10mb for uploaded attachments and avatars? I am aware there is a hosting deal priced at $28 a month which includes a mutant version of the board tied to IPS servers, but that sort of money is unrealistic compared to the current quality hostsed under $10 per month.

I feel that with the change, which I am sure is for a good reason, the market for IPB amongst hobbyists would collapse.

My rationale is that VMWare also had what they called a student or hobbyist license that did not provide tech support beyond installation only.

You answered your own question when you said they currently have a deal for hosting a board. I suggest you familiarise yourself with http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dynamic/ho...nity/index.html, as it contains all of the "board only" hosting available. Side note, that is not a mutant board, it is exactly the same as a retail board, with the difference that it is encoded. Nothing more or less. The cheapest package is $10, so I have no idea where your $28 came from, unless you're referring to something on http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dynamic/ho...site/index.html.

Side note to IPS, Virtual Private Servers have been "coming soon" for two years. Is that Soon

You answered your own question when you said they currently have a deal for hosting a board. I suggest you familiarise yourself with

http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dynamic/ho...nity/index.html

, as it contains all of the "board only" hosting available. Side note, that is not a mutant board, it is exactly the same as a retail board, with the difference that it is encoded. Nothing more or less. The cheapest package is $10, so I have no idea where your $28 came from, unless you're referring to something on

http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dynamic/ho...site/index.html

Side note to IPS, Virtual Private Servers have been "coming soon" for two years. Is that Soon

Thanks for the update :)

Again, this reinforces my hope that I can put together the money to acquire a $69 license before 2.2 comes out, and presumably I get the upgrade to 2.2?

Which begs another question... can I legally run version 2.1.7 and 2.2.0 on the same server? It would be the same domain name.

Thanks for the update :)

Again, this reinforces my hope that I can put together the money to acquire a $69 license before 2.2 comes out, and presumably I get the upgrade to 2.2?

Which begs another question... can I legally run version 2.1.7 and 2.2.0 on the same server? It would be the same domain name.

Provided you have two licenses, it is perfectly OK. You can't use two versions off one license (exempting betas) though.

The upgrade to 2.2 is free to you, if you are within your support contract still. At the end of your yearly license, rather than it expiring it will become a Standard license, with $25 semi-annual renewal.

Archived