only customer can download the public beta?

Guest Hanschke

yes but the word public is wrong i think. it is a customer beta not a public beta. public means for all.

Why should those of us who do the right thing and buy our licenses subsidise those who don't?

As far as Invision is concerned the 'public' is all those who are not 'Invision'.

:)

The term "public" is misleading. I was hoping to try out and test the new software and see if it met my requirements. So far as licensing is concerned, the beta board times out October 15. I don't think for amoment that if I was able to evaluate the beta software that I am getting something for "free" as the software will time out, and no webmaster is going to build a board community knowing that the software is going to time out.

I respectfully would like to apply to beta test the software, to provide feedback on my experience for the benefit of all.

I also understand that the pricing regime is changing and wondered if IPB had any plans for a standard licence of say $25 for 6 months, thereafter renewing for support/downloads/upgrades at $25 per 6 months, as $50 is a lot of money to find in one go. It would help members spread the cost of the board, and provide valuable income to the board publisher.

Thanks for listening.

Its not really public or customer. The supposed "public beta releases" are first checked by private beta testers before the public gets a chance to test it. :rolleyes:

If we want to keep programming terminology we could have the name changed to "Protected beta releases" :)

The term "public" is misleading. I was hoping to try out and test the new software and see if it met my requirements. So far as licensing is concerned, the beta board times out October 15. I don't think for amoment that if I was able to evaluate the beta software that I am getting something for "free" as the software will time out, and no webmaster is going to build a board community knowing that the software is going to time out.

I respectfully would like to apply to beta test the software, to provide feedback on my experience for the benefit of all.

I also understand that the pricing regime is changing and wondered if IPB had any plans for a standard licence of say $25 for 6 months, thereafter renewing for support/downloads/upgrades at $25 per 6 months, as $50 is a lot of money to find in one go. It would help members spread the cost of the board, and provide valuable income to the board publisher.

Thanks for listening.

I would not recommend using IPB 2.2 to determine IPB's suitability for your purposes. It has... some rather nasty bugs which you wouldn't be able to help but reflect badly, forgetting that it's a Beta. There is the demo boards on the IPB homepage, you can set one up and test that.

With the changing regime, standard licenses are $25USD/6 months, which is payable once every six months - but can be paid in advance. The initial purchase is $149. To save money, you can purchase a Yearly license now ($69.95) which will get you updates and support for one year, and will become a Standard license at the end of it's term ($25USD/6 months renewal)

Why is the initial price $149 instead of $25 or $50?

I would happily pay $25 for 6 months tech support, provided that when the 6 months elapsed I could decide if I wanted to renew the tech support, else, so far as I am aware the board would run forever, but I would have zero access to tech support, downloads and upgrades.

I am just looking at options at this time.

---

The demonstration board? Does it allow me to access the acp etc?

Oh, I just checked the demo board is offline to mid October.

Ok, I have re-read Charles' post in the pinned topics, and it seems that if I leave it too long I am going to have to pay nearly two and a half times the current yearly price. OK

If I buy a license next month then hopefully it will be $69.

Can someone confirm that I am right in thinking that the renewal thereafter is just for tech support and updates? And that my board if purchased will still keep running permanently?

Why is the initial price $149 instead of $25 or $50?

I would happily pay $25 for 6 months tech support, provided that when the 6 months elapsed I could decide if I wanted to renew the tech support, else, so far as I am aware the board would run forever, but I would have zero access to tech support, downloads and upgrades.

I am just looking at options at this time.

---

The demonstration board? Does it allow me to access the acp etc?

Oh, I just checked the demo board is offline to mid October.

Sorry, I wasn't aware the demo board was offline.

I'll cover all the pricing bases for you (and it appears I addressed a later post while I was at it. Yay!):

If you purchase BEFORE the release of v2.2, you will pay:
$69 for the first year, optional renewal of support/upgrades for $25 per 6 months. Your board works for life, and security fixes are free (Yearly, migrates to Standard)
OR
$185 for the first year, optional renewal of support for $30 per year. Your board works for life, and ALL updates are free (Perpetual)

If you purchase AFTER the release of v2.2, you will pay:
$175 for the first year, optional renewal of support/upgrades for $25 per 6 months. Your board works for life, and security fixes are free (Standard)
OR
$349 for the first year, optional renewal of support/upgrades for $50 per 6 months. Your board works for life, and security fixes are free (Business)

Sorry, I wasn't aware the demo board was offline.

I'll cover all the pricing bases for you (and it appears I addressed a later post while I was at it. Yay!):

$69 for the first year, optional renewal of support/upgrades for $25 per 6 months. Your board works for life, and security fixes are free (Yearly, migrates to Standard)

OR

$185 for the first year, optional renewal of support for $30 per year. Your board works for life, and ALL updates are free (Perpetual)

$175 for the first year, optional renewal of support/upgrades for $25 per 6 months. Your board works for life, and security fixes are free (Standard)

OR

$349 for the first year, optional renewal of support/upgrades for $50 per 6 months. Your board works for life, and security fixes are free (Business)

hw do you come to 175, I thought it was 149?

OR

OR

So in essence if I don't hurry up and acquire my license before the new version is out then I will pay an additional $101 for the first year with the renewal option set at $25.

I cannot afford $69 now, but I can afford $10 as a deposit now to secure my $69 option. I would also have to arrange my hosting and domain name as per the licence I can only install it once on one url on one server.

I assume that I am legally allowed to uninstall the board, advise IPB and then install it somewhere else (move servers?)

So in essence if I don't hurry up and acquire my license before the new version is out then I will pay an additional $101 for the first year with the renewal option set at $25.

I cannot afford $69 now, but I can afford $10 as a deposit now to secure my $69 option. I would also have to arrange my hosting and domain name as per the licence I can only install it once on one url on one server.

I assume that I am legally allowed to uninstall the board, advise IPB and then install it somewhere else (move servers?)

Yes.

And you don't even have to notify them, you just update the URL location in your IP.Board License to the location you have it installed at and they will see that. :)

Archived