When 2.2.0 final editon released, I plan to update...

Guest ysun

When 2.2.0 final editon released, I plan to update apache, php, mysql and zend.

My server OS is win2k3, if I update these 4 software, which edition is the best for 2.2.0?

apache 2, the lastest edition, I think everyone agree?
zend, the lastest edition, I think everyone agree, too?

But how about php and mysql? php 4 or 5? mysql 4 or mysql 5? the lastest editon or other edition?

Besides above, what storage engine is the best? MyISAM or INNOBASE?

Someone has any idea? many thanks!

IPB 2.2 works great on the latest versions of all of those, and yes it'd be best to use the latest version of each for the best performance (Apache 2, PHP 5, MySQL 5)... and MyISAM would be the best storage engine IMO.

Although you could set the sessions table to HEAP so that it is stored in memory which provides a small performance boost.

Depending what you do, myisam and innodb are both great...

I have a forum, each day 5,000-10,000 click, alexa 72,000 also, not too busy.

since many months ago Mysql installer added several options, like storage engine, server role, etc. which made me confused for almost 2 years.

IPB 2.2 works great on the latest versions of all of those, and yes it'd be best to use the latest version of each for the best performance (Apache 2, PHP 5, MySQL 5)... and MyISAM would be the best storage engine IMO.

Although you could set the sessions table to HEAP so that it is stored in memory which provides a small performance boost.

I have heard mysql 5 (maybe php5?) is not very suitable for IPB long time ago, now there is no problem at all?

Could you tell me how to set the sessions table to HEAP? Thank you!

Run this query in your SQL Toolbox or phpMyAdmin (replacing ibf_ with your table prefix if you use a different one):

p

On large boards that I administer this really gives quite a speed boost.

ah! that's it? :blush: Thank you!

btw, I need to run it only once or I need to rerun it in some conditions?

ah! that's it? :blush: Thank you!

btw, I need to run it only once or I need to rerun it in some conditions?

Once only. Be aware though that if you shutdown MySQL or it crashes, all IPB sessions will be closed, meaning everyone will have to relogin. It is up to you to decide whether that price is worth it.

ysun,
No, it doesn't need to be rerun. If you want to revert back to MyISAM however you just run this:
ALTER TABLE `ibf_sessions` ENGINE = MYISAM

Kyanar,
No they won't need to relogin, but the online list will look empty until they visit the board again and the board reads their cookie. That's only if the server crashes or is restarted... sessions are temporary data.

Once only. Be aware though that if you shutdown MySQL or it crashes, all IPB sessions will be closed, meaning everyone will have to relogin. It is up to you to decide whether that price is worth it.

ysun,

No, it doesn't need to be rerun. If you want to revert back to MyISAM however you just run this:

Thank you, the knowledge of this part is quite interesting! :wub:

ysun,

Kyanar,

No they won't need to relogin, but the online list will look empty until they visit the board again and the board reads their cookie. That's only if the server crashes or is restarted... sessions are temporary data.

Ah, excellent. I was under the impression the new "stronghold" feature would make a session unusable with nothing but the cookie. Makes sense they would include data like that outside the session, to prevent data degradation.

Archived