Make Your Own Points System!

Guest Septerra

To me, it's a market requirement. Now there are 0.22 billion internet users in China, that's the market.

Your 0.22 billion is insignificant compared to the other ~4 billion people in the world. And you aren't a market, so you can't say something is a market requirement.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your 0.22 billion is insignificant compared to the [i]other ~4 billion people in the world[/i]. And you aren't a market, so you can't say something is a market requirement.

Man, plz read carefully. 0.22 billion are the internet users in China and still increase fast. U.S. has 0.21 billion internet users.

The difference between Chinese internet users and the American internet users is most Chinese internet users want to own a personal forum. That made a local Chinese forum company own over 1 million customers (bussiness license and free license) in China, that means there are 1 million forums run the same forum application on the earth, in this case, much more than IPB.

If IPS plans to be a global company by real meanings, considering about the difference requirements in different markets is very necessary.

The above is just a kindness suggestion from me, on the one hand I try to protect my invest, and on the other, I really like the style of IPS inside.

I see the uses for points on SOME forums, but I fail to see the difference between points and post count most times (as far as what they stand for). I have 6000+ posts here, does that make my responses better than the majority of other users here? Even then, I'm around quite a bit, wouldn't people get to know me regardless of my post count or points number? (kind of like a natural reputation...imagine that...intuitive thinking on a forum...) You like it, you add it. I don't need points, and never will. :P

Man, plz read carefully. 0.22 billion are the [color="#0000ff"]internet users[/color] in China and still increase fast. U.S. has 0.21 billion internet users.

The difference between Chinese internet users and the American internet users is most Chinese internet users want to own a personal forum. That made a local Chinese forum company own over 1 million customers (bussiness license and free license) in China, that means there are 1 million forums run the same forum application on the earth, in this case, much more than IPB.

If IPS plans to be a global company by real meanings, considering about the difference requirements in different markets is very necessary.

The above is just a kindness suggestion from me, on the one hand I try to protect my invest, and on the other, I really like the style of IPS inside.

So freaking what? Not all of us are in the US. I'm in New Zealand, the original developer of IP.Board is in the UK (and Europe's internet users dwarfs China). You say it's so important that they add this because China has 0.22 billion users, and the USA has only 0.21, therefore what Chinese users want should override everyone else - guess what, IPS is already a global company, they don't need to pander to pointless ideas from a user base which accounts for less than 25% (assumed, no actual knowledge here) of their customers. (Piracy being rampant in China, so half the Chinese users' IPB licenses being pirated probably doesn't help. Just ask Microsoft).

So freaking what? Not all of us are in the US. I'm in New Zealand, the original developer of IP.Board is in the UK (and Europe's internet users [i]dwarfs[/i] China). You say it's so important that they add this because China has 0.22 billion users, and the USA has only 0.21, therefore what Chinese users want should override everyone else - guess what, [i]IPS is already a global company,[/i] they don't need to pander to pointless ideas from a user base which accounts for less than 25% (assumed, no actual knowledge here) of their customers. (Piracy being rampant in China, so half the Chinese users' IPB licenses being pirated probably doesn't help. Just ask Microsoft).

Do you know what is the future? I guess you are the one just have a short eyesight.

Though there is piracy in China, Microsoft still set its largest development center in China, also IBM, also Symantec, ect. the emploryees are being paid as same as in U.S. Why? Are they as stupid as Kiwi Birds? Just ask Microsoft.

The local company I mentioned above is Discuz.com, it got over 2 million USD income last year, how about IPS? I don't think IPS can earn 1 million USD a year. I am afraid that IPS has less than 25% Chinese accounts you assumed is still too much. I guess IPS Chinese customers are less than 1%, because it's hard for IPS to open Chinese market by current products.

• 1 month later...

Newbie to the forums here :blush: But about the points system. I have read all the posts on the suject. I see both sides a the debate. So here is my side. I like the Idea of a points system. (even though it is not the 'majoraty') although "yes" I want to have a community and "yes" it is or going to be non profit. I want a community for friends and family to gather and share/create friendships. And "yes" I would be willing to pay the extra dough to have such a feature as the point system. and would like to see more items that intagrate with the points system. mods such as the points system will help permote and create more activaty for the site. And "no" not as a spam trap or anything as such. But a better base for rewarding members of the community with exlusive things/gifts/thank-you type of things for being active within the community.(such as spechial buttons &or avidtars, even skin change options for say like a chat room they make. Heck even x amount a points to even be able to make a room and X amout a points to maitaing the room as a permanint room.) So aside from biz minded attrabutes having either a package (that is optional) for people like myself to either 'buy' as a add on through IPB that will also support 3rd party mods (since with-out 3rd party coders that do awesome work and typicly with little or no pay for there work) can also benifet for there hard work (aside from donations they may er may not get). and yes I never could spell worth a chit :blink: Thanks for taking out the time to read this.

Of course not, but because the regular users of this site are moderately technically-minded, we know what we're talking about when we say that because points systems work on integer fields, it would not matter if you used it or not, it would still take up database space because the database would save "0" as a value still (although that does depend on what kind of database you are using) - whether that is negligible or not is a different debate, and varies depending on the size of your board.
And obviously, any new feature takes up space within the programming which in this case, the majority of users don't want.

But just a hint, posting in a year and a half old topic to make an irrelevant point about asking other users for respect is probably not the best way to go about it :)

Of course not, but because the regular users of this site are moderately technically-minded, we know what we're talking about when we say that because points systems work on integer fields, it would not matter if you used it or not, it would still take up database space because the database would save "0" as a value still (although that does depend on what kind of database you are using) - whether that is negligible or not is a different debate, and varies depending on the size of your board.

And obviously, any new feature takes up space within the programming which in this case, the majority of users don't want.

But just a hint, posting in a year and a half old topic to make an irrelevant point about asking other users for respect is probably not the best way to go about it :)

LOL, yeah you have a point there I didn't relize the time it was posted :unsure: but any way I guess I see both sides to the points system but for me it would not be a big community let alone worry that much about data base space but if it were something that could be made available as an add-on package available that would allow such aspects like points sys to be more widely accepted in the IPBs coding side of things. I am by no means board savy so at most a shoot in the dark here. but I don't really see the harm in such a thing. ipb still makes profit on minoraty this way. And those that protest such a aspect can still not have it if they chose not to have. I guess I dun see the harm in it as far as making such a sys available. and maybe even make it easyer for 3rd partys to have more stable mod/s in any form wether it be points sys or something else.

The problem really isn't database space here. ;)

The problem is the amount of time that it takes to code up such a feature. We literally have thousands of requests in this forum - and many of those requests are things the majority of our users do want. It isn't feasible for us to spend time coding something that a minority wants, when there are so many other features that everyone can benefit from.

It's simply the demands of the masses at work.

Brandon hit the nail on the head: Priorities.

But there's also the issue of redundancy.

Anyone wanting a great point system would do well to check out iPoints.

It's FREE, stable, written by a respected member of the Modding community, widely integrated into other Mods already, and offers a LARGE number of configuration options.

I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone who really tested it out, came back here and requested that IPS take the time to do a points system of their own.

Personally, I DON'T want IPS to tackle this when their time can be much better spent working on native features that Mods don't already offer.

But... that's only my opinion.

RV

The problem really isn't database space here. ;)

The problem is the amount of time that it takes to code up such a feature. We literally have thousands of requests in this forum - and many of those requests are things the majority of our users do want. It isn't feasible for us to spend time coding something that a minority wants, when there are so many other features that everyone can benefit from.

It's simply the demands of the masses at work.

Like I have said in other posts I am minoraty and for that tis all cool, I got the answers I wanted and to that end I bid my thanks for the input. Have a great day ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived