Make Your Own Points System!

Guest Septerra

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to guess about the numbers of boards total and how many of them want a points system, because that's all it would be: a guess. I can say that I would certainly not want such a feature in IPB, simply because I don't think it's a feature that really applies for most boards; I know I wouldn't use it. Not to mention that any mods I make then would then have to have some kind of integration with the points system, or else a very vocal minority will freak out.

If the feature is added, it better be able to be completely turned off like all the other features in IPB Tools and Settings, because I know that its inclusion will aggravate a lot of board owners. Realistically, I doubt this will ever get added, a forum should be about posting and community building, not anything that the points systems bring.

You should check into what mods are out there, there are lots of mods that don't require any file edits, and that install as easily as the Blog or Gallery, with just uploading some files and running an installer.

Obviously it is should be able to be completely turned off. This is my feedback about Invision Power Board that I feel should be added. I do often check what mods are out there, and guess what? There is no mod for a points system for Gallery, Blog, or anything else. There is a point system already out there, but it is not made by Invision Power. As simple as it sounds, IPB will refuse to support it. Great scripts like Invision Blog and Gallery would not be able to support it. If you read my suggestion for a points system integration in the Invision Gallery section, the developer even said himself that he is unable to do that unless a points system in put into IPB, and not some mod.

Points are a perfect incentive to posting and community building and having the points system does not affect your modmaking at all. Think about it, if that is the case, who the heck would want to make mods for IPB? When the feature comes, it should obviously come disabled.

There is plenty of incentive for posting and community building without such a system. This board has no such system in place, and it has over a million posts. There are thousands of active forums out there that don't have any kind of point system. Point systems don't encourage meaningful discussion, they encourage a lot of any kind of discussion, ie. spam.

Member ratings have nothing whatsoever to do with a points system, and should be taken off anyway, all those systems lead to arguments and trouble.

As someone so rightly said, a points system will one day be seen as a must have feature that people will wonder how they did without.

l remember someone arguing with me 20 years ago about whether or not all computers would one day come with built in sound.

Those of you who don't get the point, don't get the point. (Pun intended)

:)

You probably were the one who said they wouldn't come with sound. lol

You probably were the one who said they wouldn't come with sound. lol

Do you think you'll ever grow up basher? Or ever stop following me around? You must be the most immature 30 year old on the web, really, who uses 'lol' these days unless they're under 15?

<_<

Ok... a points sytem does NOT make sense in IPB what-so-ever. Why? Because so many sites that want some type of point system have different requirements of how the points are distributed and spent. For example some may want points randomly given while posting (like 1-5), while others want to give points based on the amount of text in a post (more quality post). That's why it's a modification.

What should be added is a hooks system so things can be done without being a modification, but rather a type of plugin. Like have a hook before a component (or main component, act= ) is loaded, one just before the skin is printed from the buffer (for filters), when posts are made, etc... That way it wouldn't have to be a modification, and modifications would last a lot longer because they wouldn't be effecting the main code structure. I think something like that is planned already...

Right now, and they've said it many times, IPB 2.2 is feature locked. Anything that will be added will be for 3.0. And believe me things will be gone through quite throughly for 3.0. This update, besides a few bonuses, is based heavily on security.

Add my vote to the disagree crowd. There are a lot (more!) of users that would not use the system, and like that IPB is not bloated with minority features like tends to happen with phpBB/vB. I don't want to have yet another feature wasting masses of database space for no reason.

The space required would be negligible, especially if it is not used. If it is made a switchable feature, then turn it off and you don't have to worry about it, and it hogs nothing. If you want it, it's integrated there seamlessly. I'm not sure where you are getting your data that "a lot (more!) of users" would not use it. If it is made available as an option, "a lot (more!) users" may in fact use it. I know several that would like such a system, but don't want the hassle of a major alteration of their board with a third party mod like perfect points... which is less than perfect, btw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Yes! 100% Agree.

My forum currently has 50,000+ members, if there was a point system 1 year ago, I am sure the number will be 100,000+. Points System will stimulate the exchanges between members. The forum I know which use points system most successfully is www.mop.com, it has been got into the Alexa top 100. Points system can make a forum 10 times Hot!

I would love to see a point system where users can also buy points via adsense and cash their points in via adsense. ;)

I'm not sure how that would work... Actually, I don't quite get what you mean at all.

Yes! 100% Agree.

My forum currently has 50,000+ members, if there was a point system 1 year ago, I am sure the number will be 100,000+. Points System will stimulate the exchanges between members. The forum I know which use points system most successfully is www.mop.com, it has been got into the Alexa top 100. Points system can make a forum 10 times Hot!

In case my posts the year before last didn't give it away, 0% agree. No. Points system is not a required, or even useful feature. IP.Board is used by many varied types of customers, and a small minority only would benefit from this. Also, the "explosion" of forum systems with built in Points Systems that was, you know, guaranteed to happen (not if, when!) that IP.Board had to get in ahead of to keep in the lead... well, hasn't happened. Points Systems aren't on the in progress feature list of any major bulletin board (not even php Bloat Board, also known as phpBB!)

So, again, no.

Suggestion--;

In case my posts the year before last didn't give it away, 0% agree. No. Points system is not a required, or even useful feature. IP.Board is used by many varied types of customers, and a small minority only would benefit from this. Also, the "explosion" of forum systems with built in Points Systems that was, you know, guaranteed to happen (not if, when!) that IP.Board had to get in ahead of to keep in the lead... well, hasn't happened. Points Systems aren't on the in progress feature list of any major bulletin board (not even php Bloat Board, also known as phpBB!)

So, again, no.

Suggestion--;

Emm... We can keep each other's opinion. :rolleyes:

But I still think the technology should serve around the market requirement. ;)

Archived