Make Your Own Points System!

Guest Septerra

again mod developers what about those that don't want the points system? it would be bloating the script to no end. I mean I COULD use a points system but for the gallery when they post they get points. and when they download from the gallery or download manager they loose points but that can be coded into a mod

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

again mod developers what about those that don't want the points system? it would be bloating the script to no end. I mean I COULD use a points system but for the gallery when they post they get points. and when they download from the gallery or download manager they loose points but that can be coded into a mod

not good for the future. if points system was made as a mod by a 3rd party, so if some other ppl want to write a component which need points system support, he must use the one made by another 3rd party user. Besides this, if the points system made by a 3rd party, when IPB has a big upgrade, all components which use the 3rd points system must hibernate until the 3rd party upgrade.

So we need the official make a standard of points system.

If you look forword one or more years, you can see it will be more and more necessary. I believe the official will do it.

I think this depends on the type of board you run - I'd love to have a built-in points system on the board I run but on my clan forums it has no application whatsoever.

The biggest problem with points as a modification is that every time the board is upgraded the modification needs to be reinstalled and often needs upgrading itself. I'm considering a way to write a decent points system using the components system, although that is tough due to the fact there is no 'hook' after a post is made.

The real solution is for IPS to add some hooks in the board, rather than writing a points system. :)

The trouble is (and I'm probably alone with this but hey, I'll say it anyway) I don't like installing modifications. Not because I'm lazy but simply because it's not something officially released by Invision, so there's a certain amount of risk involved with installing it on my forums. Also given that I'm not that technical, I'd have to find someone to help out. So I think it would be nice if Invision released official mods or something along those lines. Something I'd feel more comfortable installing and that way I'd still have someone to come back to for support if it screws my board up.

I don't know if anyone else feels like this, I suspect I'm somewhat alone but I'd love to see Invision either include this function in the forum or offer it as an officially released component.

The biggest problem with points as a modification is that every time the board is upgraded the modification needs to be reinstalled and often needs upgrading itself. I'm considering a way to write a decent points system using the components system, although that is tough due to the fact there is no 'hook' after a post is made.

OK Lets have the shoutbox as a standard featuer. Downloads System, Links System, FURLs, Most members online today, unessasary stuff to bloat the board.

you see hout pointless it is?

Look at it this way. if the points system is put in then someone will want the shoutbox as a standerd addon. or the other hacks no one else uses unless they are running a site that needs them.

its a waste of queiries, space on your server, and loading time.

Modification is the only way to go wor this suggestion

OK Lets have the shoutbox as a standard featuer. Downloads System, Links System, FURLs, Most members online today, unessasary stuff to bloat the board.

you see hout pointless it is?

Look at it this way. if the points system is put in then someone will want the shoutbox as a standerd addon. or the other hacks no one else uses unless they are running a site that needs them.

its a waste of queiries, space on your server, and loading time.

Modification is the only way to go wor this suggestion

I agree completly - I almost always feel that refinement of existing features is more important than bloating the board with new features. I do however think that hooks should be created to allow us to make modifying the board easier - the components system has made modding significantly easier, this is the last but perhaps most crucial step.

I agree completly - I almost always feel that refinement of existing features is more important than bloating the board with new features. I do however think that hooks should be created to allow us to make modifying the board easier - the components system has made modding significantly easier, this is the last but perhaps most crucial step.

Hooks as in the vB meathid of adding hacks? you upload files and then run a script via the admin CP?

i disagree, there are a lot of sites that use the points system !
i think IPB should have built in point system, users can customize and choose to turn on and off !

There are many points systems out there, it would be good to have just 1 point system, and other modules can be mopdified to fit that system

Hooks as in the vB meathid of adding hacks? you upload files and then run a script via the admin CP?

What I mean by hooks is a method to inject code in the board. So for example, when a post is made, I want some custom code to be run, without acctually having to edit a file. File editing is the biggest problem with modifications as you loose the edits on every minor upgrade and adding and removing them is time-consuming.

What I mean by hooks is a method to inject code in the board. So for example, when a post is made, I want some custom code to be run, without acctually having to edit a file. File editing is the biggest problem with modifications as you loose the edits on every minor upgrade and adding and removing them is time-consuming.

If I recall correctly, the 3.0 release will have a much improved "plug and go" component system where components can actually interrupt the board code and process in response to particular events. Sort of like vB hooks.

I personally wouldn't use the points system. How many percent of boards will need it? maybe 10% at most? That doesn't warrant it being a standard option. It's best left as a modification, ipb doesn't need to waste their time dealing with that crap. They could focus on improving other aspects of the board.

How many applications you usually use in Windows and Mac. and Linux?

A lot of applications existed for the ppl who use it.

In the future, with the new standard and protocol on hardware out, there will be several "internet " operating systems, a lot of things you can not image currently will be on the stage. If something will happen in certain and earlier is better, then let it be!

Exactly. :thumbsup:

I don't think so. If A writes a points sytem, and B thinks it was not good for his component, so B writes another one; C doesn't like the points system writen by A and B, so C wrote the 3rd one.

There are 2 words we call them "nightmare" and "standard", man.

Member ratings have nothing whatsoever to do with a points system, and should be taken off anyway, all those systems lead to arguments and trouble.

As someone so rightly said, a points system will one day be seen as a must have feature that people will wonder how they did without.

l remember someone arguing with me 20 years ago about whether or not all computers would one day come with built in sound.

Those of you who don't get the point, don't get the point. (Pun intended)

:)

Alright on a standard install of IPB and then you install a point mod. What point does the point mod have? None what so ever. Nothing in IPB uses the point system. The only features are those that are other mods.

I'm sure IPS is going to overload the software with all those mod just to make worth wild use of a point system. I really only see a point system worth one other mod and that is a store mod. But then again you could also use members post as money too.

Oh yeah there aren't any good store mods out for 2.1 and I don't see one coming for 2.2 any time soon uless you make it yourself.

As someone so rightly said, a points system will one day be seen as a must have feature that people will wonder how they did without.

Those of you who don't get the point, don't get the point. (Pun intended)

I get it. However, by the time it is labled as a "must have feature", vB, or some other forum company free or paid, will probably have it already, and it will no longer be as special once IPB gets it. If you implement the feature before all others, that is leading the competition. Plus, with IP Gallery and IP Blog, in which many forum companies do not have, the points system would benefit IPB and all of its addons the most. It gives new reasons to buy IP Gallery.

I have a solution - XMod (project I'm working on) can handle points.

Note that what you have said "Currently the modules/components system is great, but can't be used to modify functionality.", it does not seem like you would be able to do anything in regards to IPS gallery such as showing for each picture the number of points for viewing the full size image. Though the mod is not exclusively for points systems, nevertheless, it is a third party and still unsupported by IPB and it still serves to not allow users to use the official points system standard to integrate into IP Gallery and IP Blog.

If the feature was flooding the feedback forum, im sure then the developers would say "Well it looks like the IPB Community really want a point system for IPB by default.". But that doesnt seem to be the case. In such cases, IPS wont make it and so leave it up to other mod authors to develop a point system for the minoirty of people who want it :)

If IPS added tons of features that only small amounts of people wanted - it would get bloated and pointless. IPS only add features that there is a lot of demand for (in most cases).

The problem is, mod authors have indeed made a point system, but as it is not officially IPBs point system, IPS is unable to do anything with their board that utilizes it as it is third party redering them useless.

If IPS added tons of features that only small amounts of people wanted - it would get bloated and pointless. IPS only add features that there is a lot of demand for (in most cases).

There are many I am sure who would love this feature, and it is definately not bloated. End users browsing a forum would not see any bloat at all as you can disable the feature in the ACP. Not to be of any offense, but what do you say about IP Gallery and IP Blog? Arn't they pointless? No. I do not believe that many businesses use those products, and that the majority of customers who use it are for more personal reasons or non-profit sites.

A modification author may be able to make a point system, but, as you read in my Gallery Suggestion link on the first post, there is no way that author can truly take advantage of it for a system such as the gallery and would not be able to integrate it without probably a decent major effort.

IPB is not only about the businesses. Sony obviously in my mind would not use it, Neowin, they obviously won't use it just as much as they don't use IP Blog and IP Gallery. Focusing on businesses are obviously a good thing, but they should not rule out the other users at all. I am sure that if people are able to have a functional points system for IPB and have the features linked to it for IPB Gallery, it would definately attract more customers who want to make and maintain a site like www.animepaper.net as well as hosting companies or people who want more members to post.

No offense to IPB, but if you take a look at vB, it is very popular and its forums have more people. Its a feature. It can be disabled. IPB is not all about businesses, but there are other users as well. It does not waste any database space if you dont use it. There are features in IPB that you probably dont take advantage of.

Think about users on IP Gallery and IP Blog. Just because you and businesses won't use it, it doesn't mean that it is not useful. Points system would shine greatly on IP Gallery. Any and all mods for a points system are all 3rd party and unsupported by IPB, thus it restricts the great opportunity of more integration with their other products. If you read my post in the IP Gallery section, you can see how useful it can be.

Archived