Remember IPB is a Forum Software not a CMS

Guest cam drysdale

I love IPB, but it should be kept as a community software, theirs too much stuff that should be external, for instance IPS have a download center, wiki, linking system, yet they are all intergrated within IPB, that means say your website is:

http://forums.domain.com

then your site downloads would be http://forums.domain.com/?automodule=downloads

I think that the component system should only be used for COMMUNITY components and other features like downloads should added using a component system in IP Converger, this would allow a more realistic approach to the structure of a website using IPB.

Otherwise people are going to have a whole website powered via IPB, which is not the idea, a website should be powered by say IPD, and have IPB as the community side.

Anyone else agree???

P.S --> What about renaming IPB to Invison Community Suite and having the blog and chat only!
and then moving the gallery, ineo, downloads, links as add-ons for IPD and then using IPC as a way of linking everything! THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!

You're a little ahead of yourself. ;) None of the Dynamic/Converge apps are ready yet.

When they are, likely the existing plugins will be ported to work with Dynamic. We can't say that for sure until then.

However, I don't see a reason to deny a user the ability to use the download manager, or gallery, with just IPB if they wanted to - Dynamic is not going to be for everyone.

When they are, likely the existing plugins will be ported to work with Dynamic. We can't say that for sure until then.

This is something i would consider essential, its too good an opportunity to miss.

However, I don't see a reason to deny a user the ability to use the download manager, or gallery, with just IPB if they wanted to - Dynamic is not going to be for everyone.

Maybe not, but with the way IPB is going, you could run your website using just IPB, using IPB portal as the front page displaying lots of content and stuff and linking with the plugins. I'm just saying that maybe all these great ideas IPS has come up with should be directed more towards IPC than IPB. In other words allow people to use natively without IPB if wanted.

You have always been abble to build a whole website out of an IPB...
It has everything you need to extend on it: user authentication, member permissions, cookie functionality, etc... All the basic stuff that any script has is built-in ready to be extended on.
In the way the code is written, it has always been easy to do so as well: just add your own files, add your own actions to the action array and you're done... So I don't seewhat you'recomplaining about: IPB has always been a "potential CMS"... Not a "real" CMS of course, because there is a lot more to a CMS then that, I know, but I hope you see my point ;)

You have always been abble to build a whole website out of an IPB...

It has everything you need to extend on it: user authentication, member permissions, cookie functionality, etc... All the basic stuff that any script has is built-in ready to be extended on.

In the way the code is written, it has always been easy to do so as well: just add your own files, add your own actions to the action array and you're done... So I don't seewhat you'recomplaining about: IPB has always been a "potential CMS"... Not a "real" CMS of course, because there is a lot more to a CMS then that, I know, but I hope you see my point ;)

Yes its cool that IPB is powerful enough to be a mini CMS, but i think that the plugins such as Gallery, Downloads, and Ineo should be available natatively from IPB, its just weird to have to go to my website forums to access downloads, or view an image.

I personally feel that they should plugin to IP.Converge and NOT IPB

I don't know about the other components, but I know for sure that we're planning on porting Ineo to work with IPDynamic when it's ready to do so. :)

One thing you have to remember - IP Converge is ONLY an authentication framework - it's not designed to have plugins exactly - only to manage your authentication against remote sites.

Now, the plugins like Gallery and Ineo and Downloads (the last 2 not even being released for IPB yet), would need to develop standalone user management and authentication, while retaining the ability to use the IPB systems, or Dynamic/Nexus systems (when they are released).

It can be done. It will be done (most likely). But it's a far more difficult task than you might be thinking.

...that means say your website is:

http://forums.domain.com

If someone is using a forums sub domain, it's most likely they are using just the forums, not as their web site. If they are using the forums as the main domain, they are using it as their web site.

then your site downloads would be

http://forums.domain.com/?automodule=downloads

I think that the component system should only be used for COMMUNITY components and other features like downloads should added using a component system in IP Converger, this would allow a more realistic approach to the structure of a website using IPB.

And the problem is? No one really cares about the url, it's the site that matters. Plus, again, no one is going to use the forums sub domain unless they already have a web site and just tacking a forums on.

Otherwise people are going to have a whole website powered via IPB, which is not the idea, a website should be powered by say IPD, and have IPB as the community side.

Maybe I dont want IPD. Ever think about that? There are MANY sites out there that are just forums and nothing else: A community. It wouldnt be practical for them to use anymore more complex. IPD is meant for more standard web sites, not necessarly for a community base.

P.S --> What about renaming IPB to Invison Community Suite and having the blog and chat only!

and then moving the gallery, ineo, downloads, links as add-ons for IPD and then using IPC as a way of linking everything! THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!

There is no reason to do that at all. The plugins link into IPB as components. IPB links into IPD. The components can also link into IPD. I dont see a problem at all.

Maybe not, but with the way IPB is going, you could run your website using just IPB, using IPB portal as the front page displaying lots of content and stuff and linking with the plugins.

I do that, and so do a lot of people. Great for forum sites.

Yes its cool that IPB is powerful enough to be a mini CMS, but i think that the plugins such as Gallery, Downloads, and Ineo should be available natatively from IPB, [b]its just weird to have to go to my website forums to access downloads, or view an image.

I personally feel that they should plugin to IP.Converge and NOT IPB

[/b]

Converge is a authentication software that links two different applications togehter.

Would also cost a hell of a lot of money.

Would also cost a hell of a lot of money.

no more that what it already costs!

Hi there.

Sorry BHX but I'm under the impression that you forget to read others arguments and conception ?
Why do you maintain posture which consists to assert that any user may be interested by a kind of pack... ?

For example, I'm IPB and IPG user but was never concerned about ICB because I don't need it at all or so far.
Well... appelation "IPB" suits me fine and in this actual context, appears to me logical.

Excuse if I didn't correctly understand your expectation...

Archived