Invision Power Board 2.1.7 Suggestion

Guest Aqua.Regia

AFAIK, there wasn't even a plan for 2.1.6 but due to major security vulnerabilities, there was one. There is no plan for 2.1.7 at this some, but if a major security vulnerability is released, there may be. 2.2 is the next version, however it shouldn't be done this summer. From what I have heard from Brandon, the FINAL version will be sometime in late fall?

AFAIK, there wasn't even a plan for 2.1.6 but due to major security vulnerabilities, there was one.

Labonte requested (via a poll on IPSb) that all of the security patches for 2.1.5 be consolidated into a new version so that it would be simpler for people to be protected, so I assume that was the reason for 2.1.6.

max size for different file types in my view is an easy addition and could even just be left as a mod.

What i've been looking for is segregated uploads (in respective date demonated folders) similar to how Invision Gallery does it. This can be done by a mod but it would make fundamental changes to the upload system which I would prefer to see in the base version.

I'm sure people with a lot of uploads understand this problem and concern.

I hope that features below will apply on IPB 2.1.7 or higher

1) File Type Upload limit (eg : 1MB for doc file, 5MB for zip file..., and not just use Global )

2) Reputation for member

Thats all. :D

I can't understand why you would want that... :huh:

AFAIK, there wasn't even a plan for 2.1.6 but due to major security vulnerabilities, there was one. There is no plan for 2.1.7 at this some, but if a major security vulnerability is released, there may be. 2.2 is the next version, however it shouldn't be done this summer. From what I have heard from Brandon, the FINAL version will be sometime in late fall?

True, it was a very big security hole, even this site wasn't patched. I hope 2.2 is coming very soon.

I hope that this new release will be compatible with all the other IPB MODs.

So, if I want to add an old MOD I can do it because IPB 2.1.7 (or 2.2.0) will be compatible with it.

What do you think? Is possible? :D

normally mods will remain compatible, but this is not something ips can guarantee, you can't expect them to test every single mod with their product, ...

• 1 month later...
  • Management

I don't really get why anyone would want to limit the size that a single file type can be. If you don't set a global or per post level on what can be uploaded and even if you do set a per post or global level, what difference does it make if they "spend" their upload "credits" on a massize jpeg or zip.

Unless I'm missing something, that's just adding in features for the sake of it. Being told "Sorry, you have 10mb space left but the file you just uploaded was 5k larger than the allowed for that filesize" would just annoy and confuse in equal measure.

I can see the benefit in terms of images as my site runs a gallery (also allows images in forum posts).

I do not want people uploading huge images but want to allow multiple ones per post. So I set the limit per post to 600K which allows multiple images but can also allow a single image of 600K.

If I could stop a single image from being uploaded if say it is > 100K then this would be usefull.

Archived