Auto-save posts, pms

TCWT

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bc.' post='1313121' date='Nov 6 2005, 02:40 AM']Erm, IPB already has a save-post feature should your window have any problems. :ermm: And you can save PM's for later, but I'm not sure about auto-saving...[/quote]
But it isn't auto-save though. ;)

• 7 months later...

[quote name='bc.' post='1313121' date='Nov 6 2005, 03:40 AM']Erm, IPB already has a save-post feature should your window have any problems. :ermm:[/quote]

I'm certainly not seeing this. I was originally interested in an auto-save but if a user could clik "save" for instance that would be just fine for me but I don't see that option anywhere. I'm using v2.1.6. :blink:

[quote name='ellawella' post='1396043' date='Jun 22 2006, 12:32 PM']I don't see the point of a save feature for posts. It's all very well drafting emails, but drafting a post? Nah. It's just not important enough.

Save it to Wordpad ;)[/quote]

I have been caught in this situation as well as many of my users. My site is a large reference site (http://www.urbanplanet.org) with all sorts of stats, figures, etc. A lot of the posts on my site take a bit of time to compose with users having to switch between reference material to make the complete composition. A save feature would be great in my case. Personally I've been caught writing a long post only to have my computer lock-up, etc. so it would be nice if you could save it as you go along just in case something happened.

[quote name='dyelton' post='1396046' date='Jun 22 2006, 05:42 PM']I have been caught in this situation as well as many of my users. My site is a large reference site (http://www.urbanplanet.org) with all sorts of stats, figures, etc. A lot of the posts on my site take a bit of time to compose with users having to switch between reference material to make the complete composition. A save feature would be great in my case. Personally I've been caught writing a long post only to have my computer lock-up, etc. so it would be nice if you could save it as you go along just in case something happened.[/quote]
It may be a sound feature for your site, but IMO most other sites would not have a use for it. If you browse around virtually any forums you'll seldom see more than a couple of posts of any significant length per thread page (broadly speaking). Most posts can be typed out in under 3 mins, no need for a save feature ;)

You could always request/make a modification though.

[quote name='ellawella' post='1396047' date='Jun 22 2006, 12:44 PM']It may be a sound feature for your site, but IMO most other sites would not have a use for it. If you browse around virtually any forums you'll seldom see more than a couple of posts of any significant length per thread page (broadly speaking). Most posts can be typed out in under 3 mins, no need for a save feature ;)

You could always request/make a modification though.[/quote]

I agree, most forums are probably not setup like mine. I have had custom modifications from Invision done on my site before but I'm not sure I want to touch on that subject at the moment. I have to pull teeth everytime a custom modification from Invision is done so anytime I pay to have one done I make sure it is a good one. :P

I am curious as to what Brandon C was referring to however.

I've seen what Brandon is referring to, but I'm not sure how to reproduce it. Sometimes when you make a post you'll get an error that says there was a problem processing your request, but that the post data was saved. There is then a textarea on that page that contains the post you just tried to make. Again, not sure what actually causes it, but it does happen sometimes.

[quote name='FuSoYa' post='1396052' date='Jun 22 2006, 06:07 PM']I've seen what Brandon is referring to, but I'm not sure how to reproduce it. Sometimes when you make a post you'll get an error that says there was a problem processing your request, but that the post data was saved. There is then a textarea on that page that contains the post you just tried to make. Again, not sure what actually causes it, but it does happen sometimes.[/quote]
That's when it saves $_POST data, that will occur when you post anything, not just a reply/new topic ;)

To get that message, you'd want to try something like opening fast reply, clearing your cookies and hitting "Add Reply".

• 3 months later...

I've seen what Brandon is referring to, but I'm not sure how to reproduce it. Sometimes when you make a post you'll get an error that says there was a problem processing your request, but that the post data was saved. There is then a textarea on that page that contains the post you just tried to make. Again, not sure what actually causes it, but it does happen sometimes.

Do you mean, for instance, when you're posting to a topic that gets locked while you're in the editor?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Most PMs aren't long enough, but I like the copy to Wordpad and save it yourself feature.

How would you know? :rolleyes: A save now feature like Gmail would be nice, it doesn't even refresh the page so you can continue writing.

in the new messaging system you can save a draft as always however because when you send a message the message is added to your "conversations" area anyway there is no need to save a copy of it as you can always see what you sent by visiting your conversation which is just like visiting a normal topic/post.

As for when a topic fails to post the backup box with the error message and the text is always there and with the new error reporting system it should be alot easier to figure why it happened now. As for saving a reply as you post this would be impracticable and bad use of resources.

I disagree. There's tons of practical uses of a save feature and if implemented correctly it would have minimal impact on resources (not to mention it would be completely up to the admin if they wanted to use this feature, and further restrict it to save resources if desired). The actual saving would be done behind the scenes so the user writing it wouldn't notice, and they could be written to a separate table than the posts/topics tables and only committed to those tables once the user actually posts the draft. That way users viewing and actually posting on the forum wouldn't be affected by the drafts in terms of read/write locks, and the people working on drafts wouldn't see a hit because it's done behind the scenes in the first place.

I've seen so many people complain about losing a long post they compiled, wished they had a way to work on a post and come back later to finish it (even at a different computer), etc... it's just smart technology. I'd love to compile a huge post, find my computer or internet crash right as I go to post it only to come back in a couple hours to find a notification that IPB has a new saved draft of a post I hadn't submitted yet.

• 1 year later...

Any plans for this function in future versions? I have so many members that complain about the lack of a option to save a topic as a "draft". My boards members post really big topics and with up to many hundreds of images and i think its many more boards thats is in the same situation.

Archived