Use Real Ip When Proxy Server Is Detected

Guest chuck22

This hack makes the forum always use the members real ip when a proxy is detected, meaning that all existing ip functions should continue to work, basically ignoring the proxy server (other than recording it's presence).

i.e.

* The real ip (or host) is displayed in the who's online page.

* The real and proxy server ip's are accesible for each post, the button is red for members using a proxy server.

* The real ip is searchable in the admin/mod cp (but not the proxy ip).

* The real ip can be banned by admins.

etc etc ......

Obviously this hack relies on the proxy server passing the correct http variables to allow detection.

This hack is packaged as a vBulletin product (my first use of this facility) so hopefully I have got everything right. When importing it make sure that 'Allow Overwrite' is set to 'yes'.

Hey guys as you see there is this mod that changes proxies to a person's real IP for vbulletin and this is a VERY important tool that i think EVERY forum needs because hell with this mod a banned person could never come back and so on, so i really wanted to request your ideas guys and what you think about this.

It's not that no one is interested in making it, it's the fact that 98% of all proxies are annonymous, and thus would eliminate the point.

Bottom line, is it's not worth the hassle.

actually thats NOT true, the VAST majority of proxys are (semi-)transparent proxies that people are forced\to use by their isp for example my ipaddress shows on ipb as 62.253.128.11 when its really 83.xxxxxxx. this is because my isp connects me an everyone else in the country (using this isp) via their semi-transparent proxies (ie they DO send the http_x_forward header).

what you ment to say is 98% of all MALLOUS proxies are annonymous ;-)

Malicious?

With all due respect, beeman, I hardly think that only 2 out of every 100 people using servers such as MyIPWas.com and annonymouse.org have a non-malicious intent. There are times that I'll use such a server, and I assure you without malice. :)

Malicious?

With all due respect, beeman, I hardly think that only 2 out of every 100 people using servers such as MyIPWas.com and annonymouse.org have a non-malicious intent. There are times that I'll use such a server, and I assure you without malice. :)

i think you mis-read what i said ;)

i never said that 98% of users of ann proxies do so for malicious reasons, i said 98% of malicious proxie users would choose an annon one ;)

(and the 98% figure was just following the flow from .John.'s post not actually ment as an authorative figure)

(also remember malicious is a subjective term, for example a webmaster that has made there site only accessable from one country would concider some1 using a proxie from that country to gain access to the side would concider that users actions malicious whereas the user proberlly wont, stat tracker and general ip logging can se seen in these same terms)

actually thats NOT true, the VAST majority of proxys are (semi-)transparent proxies that people are forced\to use by their isp for example my ipaddress shows on ipb as 62.253.128.11 when its really 83.xxxxxxx. this is because my isp connects me an everyone else in the country (using this isp) via their semi-transparent proxies (ie they DO send the http_x_forward header).

The point of the suggestion is to eliminate banned users from coming back, and thus - my statement is true.

Also, for the record, I was referring to web based proxies such as CGI-Proxy, etc.

I have to say that I can see the positive side of this even if it helps with some people who attempt to come in under a different IP. I would love to come up with a fool-proof way to figure something out. I'm sorry, but there are people who do have malicious intent. I have a situation on my board where a member has done something that is clearly illegal and continues to harass me. The person comes back as a different member with a different IP code over and over until caught and I go through the harassing emails, IMs, etc. My nerves are shot. I keep a log of all IPs the person has used and it continues to grow. How do you ban people like that by IP code etc? Let me just say that because of who the person is, I can't take any action against the person.

Archived