ID rebuild function

Guest ellawella

Why not add in a function which will rebuild all the IDs of members, posts and topics? For instance, if there is one member on a board, they unregister, and a new one signs up, their member ID will be 3, whereas they are really member #2. The same goes for deleted posts and topics. This feature could go under the Maintenance section maybe.

Why not add in a function which will rebuild all the IDs of members, posts and topics? For instance, if there is one member on a board, they unregister, and a new one signs up, their member ID will be 3, whereas they are really member #2. The same goes for deleted posts and topics. This feature could go under the Maintenance section maybe.

The problem with this is if someone registers as member one, and then is deleted, and someone else registers, then that person is technically member 2, not member one. This means that member number would have to be stored independantly from member id. Also, when peoples IDs change, references to them in every table would need to be updated. Its too complicated to be worth bothering with as a default feature, and people would run it and break thier forums. I think this should be a stand-alone tool. :)

Yeah, maybe member ID should be a seperate column from member number. People wouldn't go breaking their forums if it was written properly to update all required fields, however.

I was just suggesting it because I was all fired up to do a script myself, then realised I didn't know each and every field which required updating. So I thought, "Maybe nice Matt will hold my hand". Or similar.

Archived