Delete inactive Members for x days

Guest Neo Assyrian

hi guys, I was wondering if its possible to add a new feature that would show members that were inactive for x days!!?? and then you can delete or suspend thier accounts??
at the moment, you can only search if the users were active from xx-xx-xx to xx-xx-xx?? I don't know when you will use this??

I think its good to delete members that were inactive for a period of 60 days, and has zero posts.

cheers :thumbsup:

What if members are on vaction(s) for say 30 days and that is how much you set it for (delete members after "30" days. Some people may not post right away. Look at my Join date here, then look at my "first" 'post". I didn't post right away as soon as I joined. I waited like 6 or so months (I think) then I posted. now I have like 562 posts.

hi guys, I was wondering if its possible to add a new feature that would show members that were inactive for x days!!?? and then you can delete or suspend thier accounts??

at the moment, you can only search if the users were active from xx-xx-xx to xx-xx-xx?? I don't know when you will use this??

I think its good to delete members that were inactive for a period of 60 days, and has zero posts.

cheers :thumbsup:

Your own account probably would of been deleted if this feature was in the program. Nov 02 and 42 posts

Just had a thought the admin can also make it so some members can not be "pruned" by the "system" (if this was implemeted). Could also be the same with groups. the Admin can set weather the system can delete users within x group. . .

well, if you are on a vacation for more than 30 days, and you had no access to the internet, then this means that you are in a place where there is NO INTERNET, and where is this place now adays.
I'm sure members can at least login for a while (at least a minute)!!??

and by inactive I said that the the user didn't log in to the forums (not necessary posted something), you know what I mean!

also, people who will be away for 60 days and no internet can let thier board members about it, and there account wont be deleted!

I think its a good idea to check for accounts that are not usable anymore, I have members that signned up again, just to change thier account name, cause they didn't wanna bother us!! lol

so ya, I think other message boards have this feature ;)

A bad idea of bloat.

If the member made posts, then by deleting them, their posts become orphaned.

If you delete members that visit once in awhile and they keep getting deleted, they are likely to stop visiting and to not only stop telling others about your board, but also to end up forgetting about it.

If the member is without the internet for 30 or 60 days, does that mean that they have forgotten about your board? Not necessarily. What if they are caught in a crisis of some sort, like say a hurricane that caused their great city to become flooded? Then they get online to tell everyone about their experience, only to find that some nasty mean admin deleted their account because they didn't sign in "at least a minute". I can tell you one place that they won't want to sign up with again, because it'll be like adding insult to injury.

The only feature similar to this that I could see would to be able to flag individual accounts as being Inactive (for a few select reasons), that after a specified default amount of time the account get pruned, and the member can 'abort' this action by performing an action.

To explain this more, "Account status" would default to "Active". Anything other than that would mean "Inactive", like "Must sign in", "Must (re)agree to Terms of Service", "Must change password", "Must (update) or (update or re-validate) their email address", etc. Then have the number of days (or date) until the account expires (0 would be unlimited/no expiration).

This would be most useful when a members email account becomes invalid, you can mark it as an inactive account for say 2 months. Then the next time the member signs in, they can update their email or if their old email is active again, revalidate it. Perhaps the same thing happened but you have started a policy against allowing emails from a specific domain, you could restrict it to updating (but not being able to re-validate).

Something like that I could see because you can manually specify a reason for the inactive label, and then the action necessary to reactivate it. It would serve multiple purposes, including yours.

well, then what's the solution for the problem of people signing up with different account names, and never using there account!!?? for a VERY LONG period of time??

I did ask my members in my forums, and they all agreed to me, and they didn't complain about it.

"If the member is without the internet for 30 or 60 days, does that mean that they have forgotten about your board? Not necessarily. "

about its not impossible!?

"What if they are caught in a crisis of some sort, like say a hurricane that caused their great city to become flooded? Then they get online to tell everyone about their experience, only to find that some nasty mean admin deleted their account because they didn't sign in "at least a minute". I can tell you one place that they won't want to sign up with again, because it'll be like adding insult to injury."
how long would that be? 60 days? 90 days?

all what I said was, the ability to find accounts that there were INACTIVE, and has zero posts, for a long period of time.

however, I do like your idea though, and it sounds a good one to be implemented.

This is a great feature actually .. This is actually what the big boys do (even hotmail will delete your account you don't use it after a certain amount of time)...

All that has to happen is that the script has to fire out an email saying that your account will be deleted in X days because in in-activity unless you click the link provided .. perfectly acceptable ...

Also you can have the script just archive his/her posts to your trashcan forum instead of deleting them ..

well, then what's the solution for the problem of people signing up with different account names, and never using there account!!?? for a VERY LONG period of time??

Try this topic: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=177162

however, I do like your idea though, and it sounds a good one to be implemented.

Your idea really. I only tried to be creative on widening the overall use of it some. :)

If both the ideas (the link I provided and from the sounds of your approval, the idea I mentioned), I think that would be a wonderful way of having only active accounts.

Merge the duplicate members so you don't have orphaned posts and be able to nuke off other members who never seem to return(or invalid emails) and no posts, etc. Keep it clean but optionally keep members who have posted. :)

This is a great feature actually .. This is actually what the big boys do (even hotmail will delete your account you don't use it after a certain amount of time)...

All that has to happen is that the script has to fire out an email saying that your account will be deleted in X days because in in-activity unless you click the link provided .. perfectly acceptable ...

Also you can have the script just archive his/her posts to your trashcan forum instead of deleting them ..

exactly that what I mean

Your idea really. I only tried to be creative on widening the overall use of it some. :)

If both the ideas (the link I provided and from the sounds of your approval, the idea I mentioned), I think that would be a wonderful way of having only active accounts.

Merge the duplicate members so you don't have orphaned posts and be able to nuke off other members who never seem to return(or invalid emails) and no posts, etc. Keep it clean but optionally keep members who have posted. :)

yeah I agree with this, and ofcourse I will keep members who posted :-" lol
as I said earlier, many other message boards have this option avilable to search for accounts that are inactive and has no posts.

hopefully this feature will be added

thanks guys, especially .wolfie. for his creative idea :thumbsup: too

Archived