RTE Width

Guest .Jack

Although this technically is not a bug.. I believe it is something very important that does need to be looked into and hopefully implemented by 2.1 final...

Basically, obviouslly users can customise the overall width of their board, in fact- there is even a comment in the stylesheet indicating "this is where you control the overall board width" or whatever... However, as far as I can see the RTE width is not controllable without "hacking" the php file(s) and therefore not a per-skin thing... (plus, one shouldn't have to go hacking to change such a trivial thing)

By having no control over the RTE width, you are esentially retarding all the boards with a lowish width because the RTE just flies off out of the page.

I would really appreciate it if this could be implemented as a per-skin customisable option (i.e. in a template bit or something) :)

By having no control over the RTE width, you are esentially retarding all the boards with a lowish width because the RTE just flies off out of the page.

It would be nice if there was a ACP setting for controlling the width of IPB. It would be even nicer if it actually worked. ;) It's not very pretty when the registration page--the first thing new users have to deal with--requires you to scroll sideways to see what you're filling out. The calendar, too, ignores width settings and forces you to scroll. >_<

This is not a bug in IPB but is more of a feature suggestion.

I respectfully disagree. If there is a comment in the CSS that says I can set the width of IPB to 750...it should work...but it cleary doesn't. Registration screen, calendar, RTE editor, etc., should all conform to a width of 750...but they don't. :(

Agreed. It would be nice if there was a ACP setting for controlling the width of IPB. It would be even nicer if it actually worked. ;) It's not very pretty when the registration page--the first thing new users have to deal with--requires you to scroll sideways to see what you're filling out. The calendar, too, ignores width settings and forces you to scroll. >_<

That's not exactly what I'm talking about but meh! :lol:

I believe the FIXED WIDTH of the posting screen is an example of poor structural design and very unfriendly.

The edit and posting screens on the new VB are fluid.
IPB break the wrapper at 800 let alone 710 or 750.

It might be the shiney new toy but it is a visual eyesore.
Some advice to help fix it would be appreciated if, as it seems, it's not considered by IPB to be a bug.

Well, if you have the patience to get rid of the nest of tables you can alter the layout to suit a thinner board but this shouldn't be the case.

I am going to replace/delet the Smilies frame and let the posting div take the full width but it is a pain in the butt.

VB offer all the same functions with a flexible width so I 'm also surprised at the lack of interest in this major "cosmetic" flaw.

As Antony says its their first release and I am sure IPB will (or are already) looking into the matter as soon as they can and find a suitable solution.

The release version is irrelavent. They obviously knew about this and chose to ignore it. Probably because of a looming release deadline. It's not a bug but a known limitation. Now it's up to us to fix it or provide constructive feedback.

I suggest that the RTE box should autofit the table-cell it fit's into. This way when you resize your browser, the RTE will auto-adjust.

I suggest that the RTE box should autofit the table-cell it fit's into. This way when you resize your browser, the RTE will auto-adjust.

Yes. Let's not forget that the RTE is not the only thing bursting out of smaller widths--we've also got the registration page and calendars to contend with. See "Eyesores!" for screen captures of Invison Power Services' support board when "contained" within an 800 pixel-wide window.

Archived