Forcing user login and display names to be different

Guest JasonG

For security purposes it would be nice when users are creating thier accounts in a 2.1+ IPB forum that there was an option to force them to select different names for thier login name and forum display names. Much harder to hack an account if you don't know the proper user name.

Last I checked the page you select your display name and login name were the same page. Any pre 2.1 forum accounts would have to be grand-fathered in, unless a way was made for people to change thier login names (this wouldn't be that bad an idea either, I wouldn't care if my users changed thier login names, as long as thier display name stayed the same)

Upon further examination I found this:

Prohibit Display Names from selecting Log In names
If "yes", one is not able to choose a display name that is the same as another's display name OR another's log in name. If "no" one is not able to choose a display name this is the same as another's display name only.

under the converge set up option tree, however this doesn't stop them from chosing the same name for display and login during registration, unless somebody already has one or the other... Seems if this option is checked then during registration the two should be checked against each other as well

Archived