Podcasting Module?

Guest ChrisA

A few members of my community are interested in setting up podcasts, and I was just thinking this morning about what would be required to create a community podcast site. I was initially thinking of creating my own webap from scratch, but it's just struck me that with InvisionBoard (especially v2.1) and InvisionBlog, you guys have the essentials pretty much in place already.

The Blog module would obviously provide the main basis for the implementation as it would allow the podcasters to maintain their own kind of 'minisite' for their podcasts. The main changes on this side I can think of are that some changes would need to be made to the RSS export so Podcast software will get the URL of the podcast for the automatic download.

I envisage the forum admin(s) acting as 'Station Controllers', with members initially creating a podcast as a treatment which should they wish has to be approved first by the station controller(s). Given the potential size of the files being uploaded, some kind of feedback to the member that their file is being receaved by the server might be disireable - whether this is a function that can be done via AJAX, I'm not sure.

The only other major change I can think of that could be needed is that some members might want to run more than one podcast, so ideally it should be possible for members to create and manage many podcast shows, and not be limited to just one per profile.

Thoughts? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

but surely the blog pretty much does this with now the new rss feature built in - what most people do is link to the feeds (mp3 files or however they are) in the post content of the blog and then that link is sent through the rss feed as content.

This is the way i have seen it been done at the moment with using wordpress...

• 1 month later...

In order to make Invision Blog into a useful Podcast syndication system, the only thing we would need is support for the <enclosure> tag and the ability to define what's in the <category> tag. The <itunes:author> and <itunes:subtitle> would also need to be added, in addition to <itunes:keyword> and <itunes:duration> if we wanted to populate those fields in the iTunes software, but really, we're not talking about a huge amount of work here -- they already have the XML feed mechanism built.

Optimally, in addition to the <enclosure> tag which specifies the download url and the MIME type and file size, we should be able to directly upload the MP3 file and the <enclosure> tag should be dynamically generated. The blog software ALREADY has upload capability, so I dont see what the big deal for it to correctly export the enclosure setting is.

I don't think we're talking about a huge modification to the software to provide this capability.

• 1 month later...

Yep - the only other thing I can think of Jason, is that it might be handy to have an option to optionally have a seperate RSS feed for specific entry types - for example, you could set an option to have an RSS feed listing only entries in your 'Podcasts' category - afterall, you probably don't want your normal diary entries getting sent out to iTunes for example ;)

If these changes were made, it looks to me at least that we would be just about there...

• 3 years later...

Archived