@ Matt don't forget calendar settings in 2.1.0

Guest Nyana

Hi Matt,

I want to remember you, to enable the choice of the weekly start day of the calendar. European weeks start on monday, instead of sunday. In the actual v2.0.4 we used a mod to do so .. but other Boards enable a choice by default ..

don't forget us pls ... take a look at

European weeks start on monday, instead of sunday.

That's untrue. As far as I know, the day you start your week on originates from your religion.

I am English and the start of the week is classed as a Sunday for me and those around me. ;)

I think it'd be good to be able to choose the starting day of the week. For businesses, their calendars could better reflect their schedules. Some start on a Sunday, some on Monday, some even start on Wednesdays or Thursdays. Sunday as the default of course, but be able to change it to be any day of the week.

Perhaps also (in 3.0), allow each member to select their start day of the week (with their default setting being the board setting).

That's untrue. As far as I know, the day you start your week on originates from your religion.

I am English and the start of the week is classed as a Sunday for me and those around me. ;)

no matter what the reason is exactly .. but it will be a nice feature around the world for all relegions :P

• 3 weeks later...

I completely agree. There should be option to modify the day that week starts.

It's difficult to use calendar with Sunday starting week when you have been using monday starting week for all your life!

Shouldn't be such a big thing to do :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is low priority. When IPB becomes more localised and has ACP language packs this might be a good feature, although I definatly think this should be a feature, but mabye not in 2.1, but in 2.2 or 3.0. :)

If you don't need it, it doesn't make it low priority. Currently calendar is a bit "unusable" to me because of this. There shouldn't be a need to mod it. It should be option.

• 2 months later...

OK...the week starts on Monday and end on Sunday in most countries on the planet.

Most Latin-based languages connect each day of the week with one of the seven "planets" of the ancient times: Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and the Sun. Also some Asiatic languages (for example, Hindi, Japanese, and Korean) have a similar relationship between the week days and the planets.

English has retained the original planets in the names for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. For the four other days, however, the names of Anglo-Saxon or Nordic gods have replaced the Roman gods that gave name to the planets. Thus, Tuesday is named after Tiw, Wednesday is named after Woden, Thursday is named after Thor, and Friday is named after Freya.

So which is the Day of rest?
Well, for the Jews, the Sabbath (Saturday) is the day of rest and worship. On this day God rested after creating the world. Most Christians have made Sunday their day of rest and worship, because Jesus rose from the dead on a Sunday. Muslims use Friday as their day of rest and worship. The Qur'an calls Friday a holy day, the "king of days."

So what is the first day of the week?
The Bible clearly makes the Sabbath the last day of the week, but does not share how that corresponds to our 7 day week. Yet through extra-biblical sources it is possible to determine that the Sabbath at the time of Christ corresponds to our current 'Saturday.' Therefore it is common Jewish and Christian practice to regard Sunday as the first day of the week (as is also evident from the Portuguese names for the week days).

However, the fact that, for example, Russian uses the name "second" for Tuesday, indicates that some nations regard Monday as the first day.

In international standard ISO-8601 the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has decreed that Monday shall be the first day of the week.

So there you go... nethertheless this topic prooves that not all of us agree on what Sunday is...hence the choice to start a Calendar on either Monday or Sunday is a must have.

Oh and I forgot: ever heard the work Weekend? two days that make the end of the week I believe.

• 5 months later...

Archived