suggestion to matt

Guest phoenixcg

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, is as simply as this. Let's say you have a community of 3 dedicated forums. One is for science, other for business and the other for entertainment. You will have to buy 3 expensive licenses to run 3 different installations.

Now, what people want is SUBCATEGORIES NOT SUBFORUMS. IBP already offer subforums. A category inside a category or multiple categories inside a subforum doesn't matter. Result would be a subforum with various subcategory(s) that display just like the main index.php page. Basically just a different forum(s). A forum inside a forum. A different index.php let's say... Clear on this?

Then you take the link of that created subforum (that has categories below it) and redirect it to business.mysite.com or whatever domain and there you go, a dedicated forum. That's it, you have a completely different forum instead of mixing science, business and entertainment in just one cluttered site or forum. All you need is a license and still it is just one installation per IBP rules. Not everybody who owns a license purchases any more expensive licenses for their 2nd, third, or however many dedicated forums they'd need so they shouldn't be worrying about losing money with this feature. On the contrary, I bet vbulletin users will turn to IBP on a heart bit as this is a feature vbulletin users are begging for but vbulletin guys refuse to do it.

I owned IBP before but dumped it but I'd be back anytime if they develop this feature. I mean, this is a priority. This is a feature 90% of BB users want. I'd say to IBP guys to stop all projects doing right now and start developing that feature. This is HOT! Vbulletin users will be buying IBP boards by the truck load!

• 3 months later...

l asked for this modification nearly two years ago when we were on 1.3, so l don't think they want to do it.

l asked for limited Admin powers per 'Category' too, and that was ignored.

l had a couple of members who wanted to run forums within our forum, but it was useless if l had to do all the admin work, or make them admin.

Maybe they don't understand fully what we want, it is a little confusing.

:)

I believe the proper term for this idea is sub-catagory, or sub-root. The problem with doing this is not in posts or forums them-selves, but the layout and inheritence of the forums. When you create/edit a forum you have "Forum Parent" which gives you "Make Root (Catagory)" and forums to be a sub-forum (aka child) of an existing forum.

The way its currently setup would make sub-catagories impossible because you would want to make a forum a catagory and a sub-forum at the same time, and there is only one option. To make this work you would have to remove the "Make Root" option from "Forum Parent" and add a check box "Make Root" and in the database seperate the root aspect from the forum-parent aspect.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it easy to do? With some coding and a tid-bit of re-coding, yes. The biggest problem is with the way you have to do this, there is no gurantee matt is going to do it exactly the same way. So when you apply such a modification and the feature is made available in the next version, things will get a bit messy.

Could I do it? Yes. Do I want to do it? Depends. I would like this feature for my community, but I dont want the mess when upgrading to 3.0 when it comes out. And even if I did such a modification, I simply cant work for free anymore :unsure:. A lot of good modders are starting to see it this way too. After so long of providing free modifications and paying bills from other sources, you have to either drop what you're doing or have it pull it's own weight.

I don't think it would be considered, mainly because it would decrease sales.

Think about it, if you needed three forums, you'd need three licenses (70 * 3), for a total of 210 paid to IPS. Do you think any company in their right mind would make it so you can have all kinds of forums running off of one installation?

Think of it from a business standpoint...

Archived