suggestion to matt

Guest phoenixcg

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=176671

some other guys including myself want this feature and would definately make invision imo stand out from the crowd more than it already is, i dont know any other forum software that currently allows this. so if it is possible to have "subroots" where the subforums can be categorised to make it look more tidy, if this is possibly that would be excellent.

This topic belongs in the feature requests forum. You might want to check to see if a mod exists that can do this, though. If not, request one. But, who knows? Maybe Matt will consider it for IPB 3. After all, enough people wanted the grouping feature, and it's now confirmed for version three.

I've looked at it and to me it looks purely like a catagory/forum/subforum/subsubforum design, which IPB has offered for awhile.

Are you wanting the same "forum home" layout? If so I could be for that, especially if the selected skin would be the inherited skin in all of its forums/subforums, and admin-optional use either the primary skin (ie root skin) or the subroot skin (ie, the skin of the sub-root the person was in when) when doing things like the usercp/calendar/etc.

no but can't there be a hack made? invision 3 is going to take a year and i can't really wait that long, and i've seen vbulletin with this feature, but this feature for me is pretty much a must but i cannot stand the rest of vb in the sense of interface

To me the vB thing looks all the same ("root" "subroot" "forum" "subforum" etc)

To me it'd just be a matter of having a forum have the option of being a catagory/forum/subroot, if it's a subroot, it gets treated with the board index of the selected skin for that "subroot"

I'd imagine that with the way Matt's designed it all, it'd probably be rather easy to add it in, but that's up to him to do or not.

It would require code changing too, because of the extra option that would have to be added and for the code to be changed to recognize and make use of that option. With Matt's programming skills (not kissing up, just a reference of truth), along with the current design and how it does things, I would imagine that if he wanted to, he could implement it (code wise, not skin wise) within a matter of 2 or 3 days, that would include some debugging too. But that's if the way I'm thinking of it is correct, otherwise it could take a lot longer.

Well, time to try to work it into the plans, decide the concept he's going to use, actual programming, reviewing it, testing it, etc. That and we don't know how much he'd have to do, so I over estimated 2 to 3 days instead of making it seem like a simple task that anyone could do.

I think it'd be a nice feature to have, especially for community building, since you could have grouped sets of people, all using one site, but getting the feel of being in their own section of the board instead of being a member of a group of people and feeling like you're renting there.

I doubt (very highly) that it will make it into 2.1... for the fact that people don't want to have to re-do parts of their skins... only minor changes.

I doubt (very highly) that it will make it into 2.1... for the fact that people don't want to have to re-do parts of their skins... only minor changes.

I think you mean "so the people that do want it can just install the mod"
:)

But also, if it were to be done the way I'm thinking (which it likely wouldn't be), then it wouldn't be necessary. However, I doubt it's going to magically appear in v2.1 (if in any version).

Archived