owner can close his thread

Guest outshineguy

I have seen forums on which you can close (or open a closed) thread during the edit.

However as has been pointed out, it's a feature already, just implemented a little differently. When creating a group (or editing one) you can give the members of that group the power to close their own topics, delete their own topics, remove the "Edited By" line, and other privileges. ;)

However as has been pointed out, it's a feature already, just implemented a little differently. When creating a group (or editing one) you can give the members of that group the power to close their own topics, delete their own topics, remove the "Edited By" line, and other privileges. ;)

:thumbsup:

This thread is somewhat akin to a feature request that I posted elsewhere. The reason I post here is to highlight a difference between "closing" a thread (by the originator, or the moderator/admin) and "retiring" a thread. The word "retire" is one that I use here to highlight the difference.

Consider the following: an IPB discussion board is used for, among other things, the ability to post an ad about something being for sale. Suppose User-A posts that he has a widget for sale. Other users post queries to learn more, perhaps even calling by phone or emailing if User-A provided such contact information. And then, lo and behold JoeSchmoe buys the widget and it is no longer "on the market". User-A wants to not only "close" the thread, but actually cause it to no longer be visible. He is tired of getting calls about something that is no longer available for sale.

Pruning is not the answer. Closing a topic is not the answer. The originator should be able to "retire" his thread and stop being bothered by useless queries.

To date, I sense nothing to convince me that IPB has even read my request for this enhancement, much less consider it worthwhile (or not).

P.S., the current workaround is for User-A to message me as moderator/admin and I delete the thread. Inelegant and bothersome on my part, but it is the only known workaround.

This thread is somewhat akin to a feature request that I posted elsewhere. The reason I post here is to highlight a difference between "closing" a thread (by the originator, or the moderator/admin) and "retiring" a thread. The word "retire" is one that I use here to highlight the difference.

Consider the following: an IPB discussion board is used for, among other things, the ability to post an ad about something being for sale. Suppose User-A posts that he has a widget for sale. Other users post queries to learn more, perhaps even calling by phone or emailing if User-A provided such contact information. And then, lo and behold JoeSchmoe buys the widget and it is no longer "on the market". User-A wants to not only "close" the thread, but actually cause it to no longer be visible. He is tired of getting calls about something that is no longer available for sale.

Pruning is not the answer. Closing a topic is not the answer. The originator should be able to "retire" his thread and stop being bothered by useless queries.

To date, I sense nothing to convince me that IPB has even read my request for this enhancement, much less consider it worthwhile (or not).

P.S., the current workaround is for User-A to message me as moderator/admin and I delete the thread. Inelegant and bothersome on my part, but it is the only known workaround.

So these "Retired" threads, would be moved into a trash-can like forum, but only visible to the forum admins? That way the post is not deleted, and users will not lose their post counts.

Archived