AJAX Spell Checking !

Guest Sire

I used to think that a spell checker would be great on my board until I tried one or 2 mods and they tend to slow things down and have limited vocabularies. I gave up completely when I found the spell check that is built into the google tool bar toolbar.google.com It is the best implementation of a spell checker that I have seen for web use and it works on just about any text box on any site so is much more useful than one just for the board.

I used to think that a spell checker would be great on my board until I tried one or 2 mods and they tend to slow things down and have limited vocabularies. I gave up completely when I found the spell check that is built into the google tool bar

toolbar.google.com

It is the best implementation of a spell checker that I have seen for web use and it works on just about any text box on any site so is much more useful than one just for the board.

Safari's spell checker implementation is good, too, so really, all those that want it could just install / activate the features available for their browser. :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Firefox has a built-in spell checker, so does Opera 10 and Safari, and IE has it too if you install the ieSpell plugin. Why add something to IP.Board for this when your browser already handles it for every IP.Board forum you visit, or any other website?

Not worth it to install when most browsers have a spell checker built in that creates a red squiggly line and all a user has to do to fix it is right click and choose the right word.

If the user can't perform that task he deserves to look like he is still learning to spell.

I speled thiss rong. My firefox didn't catch anything. Do I have to enable it? I'll check.

Above the Deadline goes beyond spell checking however, and offers grammar and style checking. I thought it'd be nice to mention in case others weren't aware of it. Maybe someone will hook into it.

Update: I did have to enable it. Firefox Preferences / Advanced / Browsing - Check my spelling as I type

Archived