24Hour / 12Hour Switchable for Invision Power Board 2.1

Guest Dalponis

I prefer 24 hour time as well, and I'm also from the USA. However, I'm guessing that 95%+ of my members like 12 hour time, so I left it alone. I hope this is also implemented on a per user basis in 2.1 also :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:lol: if it's not already a feature of v2.1, there's a good chance it won't make it in.

I think it should be a dual setting format. First, Admin can select if it's an allowed option or not (there -could- be reasons to force it one way or the other) as well as the default setting. Then if allowed to change it, obviously on a per user basis.

Perhaps a screen that would show the differences in the formats so members can know what they're choosing on.

I'm not so sure there's a need to have an option to enable/disable the ability to change between 24/12 hour time; if there is an application of the forum software where it would be useful to disable this feature (and to be honest I can't think of one) then I feel quite strongly that it should be kept to a 'modification' rather than the default.

Whilst I want loads of features, I certainly don't want loads of virtually useless options in the ACP to deal with!

However, the feature itself (i.e. allow users to decide whether they want 12/24 hour time) is definitely something Matt needs to be adding - it compliments the existing features such as timezone and DST etc. perfectly.

Ability to turn it on/off (ie, permit members to choose or not) would fit nicely in the time and date settings.

There may be some forums that strictly run on 24hr, and in order to encourage everyone to speak in those terms, prohibits the use of anything else, or just may have an admin that doesn't want to allow the option. :D

Actually now that I think about it, it may not be necessary.

Formats:
{hour}:n:s <--user choice
h:n:s <--12hr forced
H:n:s <--24hr forced

Option: Use AM/PM times where possible? (Yes/No)

I use 24-hour time on my board, and I know that not every member is good with recognizing it, so I think there should be an ACP-controlled per-user option to switch between 12-hour and 24-hour time.

And while I'm on the subject, how about the ability to display dates in both the American (m-d-y) and European (d-m-y) formats?

The more I think about it, the more I really, really hope this feature gets considered for IPB 3.0. It seems that if 2.1 will allow the board to automatically recognize DST on a per-user basis (i.e. users who specify that they use DST), then it honestly couldn't be so difficult to allow a per-user basis of displaying the date and time.

• 5 months later...

+1 as well. I left my board on 12H because that's easier for most people. It usually happens that people who know 24H know 12H, but most people who know 12H don't know or are at least confused by 24H.

I worked in private security for almost 3 years, and we used 24H everywhere. I love Star Trek, and they use 24H time. I have my watch set on it, and when my fiance asks the time after 1pm/1300, I like to report the time in 24H. She's gotten used to it though, she just rolls her eyes and verbally converts it to let me know it isn't funny anymore. I also love it when little kids think they "know" the time, they say it's 6-something-PM and I say it's 1800 something... confuses the hell out of them.

People stuck on 12H time are gonna be in for a shock if the Earth's orbit ever changes, or we travel into space. 24 hours in a day is based on the Earth's rotation, and that could possibly change... taking the new rotation time and dividing it by 2 could be problematic... Whereas, for example, on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, they observe a 26-hour day. While that divides easily to a 13am and 13pm as the new noon and midnight, and though they never mention 2500 hours or 2600 hours on the show, 24H time is more suitable for different places.

Just makes more sense, I think. In fact, now that I know 24H, I'm confused as to why 12H "resets" in the middle of the day. Surely people can count higher than 12, right?

Archived