Search Engine Friendly URL's

Guest kimLloyd

I have created a mod which allows you to have search engine friendly url's in invision board -

http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/4303

It would be nice though to have a similar feature already built into invision board, as my method uses lots of queryies and the only way i could cut them down would be to change all of IPB's files and skins...

...maybe extend the lofi mode so it includes calender, profiles and maybe make it use IPB's skins...

I would *REALLY* love the ability to have this feature out of the box!

I know there's the mod mentioned at the start of this topic, and also there are those such as Swords who aren't bothered about it, but it is a seriously important issue for users who want to give their search engine ranks a helping hand.

This topic for instance uses parameters in the URL (which are generally ignored by search engines) and doesn't include the topic title or description in it. It would be much improved (from a search engine perspective) if it did contain at least the title.

I know the title of the page contains it, but every little helps...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Search engine friendly mods help the forum pages rank better in search engines. I am saying this from my own experience and I think this is what Kim is trying to explain. The pages of course can be spidered, but with Kim's mod they will definately affect the SERP.
I used Kim's mod for a while, but then decided to stop for the reason that it made my robots.txt file useless. While I was trying to restrict search engines from spidering unnecessary pages, Kim's mod restructured the forum the way that robots.txt no longer worked. Another reason to remove that mode was that my server has been overloaded with this mod a bit, but this is not Kim's fault, i am using pretty light server with celeron cpu, so that could be the reason.
Nevertheless, it would be really great if IPB could include SE friendly URLs to Lo-Fi mode.

• 1 month later...

We of course have no mods on our corporate forums and I can attest to the fact that search engines index most every post that is made without the need for a search-engine-friendly mod.

Chalres,

While nearly every page may be INDEXED by search engines, when a query is performed, a url of
site.com/showtopic.php?t=2312 will come up below a url of site.com/some-topic-title/2312.html ... assuming of course that the text "some topic title" was among the words entered into a query.

It may not seem valuable to such a large corprate site, such as these forums, but for "the little guy", this is a HUGE mod. I've been waiting for it. I've been toying with mod re-write on my own, i've played with kim's file, but like above, found it to be too much over-head.

Nearly ALL blog sites and sites focusing on web-standards use a mod-rewrite tactic. IMO, it's the only thing missing from IPB.

I would hope that you folks consider this.

I know some people don't care/don't want it-- and a simple "Show friendly urls" yes/no in the acp can solve all that :)

is there a way to have the each page title inside <title></title> change with each forum and topic pages?

um, it already does... has for 3 years now... probably more.

What makes you say that?

it's how google works... and most others follow what google does.... lol

do some reading, if you wish:

http://www.seotoday.com/browse.php/categor...d/397/index.php
http://www.seotoday.com/browse.php/categor...d/383/index.php

heck even that website ABOUT optimization uses it.... kinda makes sense, i guess right?

that url probably unfolds to browse.php?cat=aticles&id=397 or something of the sort...

site point uses it...

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/dynamic-site-seo-tips-hints

and herin, the truth is told from two of those 3 articles:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

another vote for something "out of the box" that includes SEF urls. Indexing is worthless if you can't later actually get returned search results from what was indexed. Will be looking at changing if a a solution cannot be had.

Kim's mod looks great but I'm one of those running IIS .

Since case has been brought against vBSEO. They charge $150. Surely if people paying for that, it would be in the best interests of IPS to charge $150 for a similar product rather than distribute it for free.

Google, Yahoo!, and MSN aren't primitive. They read dynamic URLs. There isn't a need to use rewrite because it can destroy years of backlinking in the search engines.

Maybe make it an option...

another vote for something "out of the box" that includes SEF urls. Indexing is worthless if you can't later actually get returned search results from what was indexed. Will be looking at changing if a a solution cannot be had.

Kim's mod looks great but I'm one of those running IIS .

The major SEF methods utilize Apache mod_rewrite, so even if IPS DID include this, you still wouldn't be able to use it unfortunately. :blink:

I was kinda hoping you Invision guys would come up with some magical way of pleasing ALL power board users :P

When I first setup the google for site search it would only bring up my main portal page and no dynamic topics. However I've tested it once a twice now that its been up for a while and it did pull up specific topic...I was hoping for a way to increase revenue (or start getting some) by giving the users this search as the board search doesn't quite cut it sometimes. At this point I think the board search is still more effective. I setup a special group just for bots so I can see what helps if anything in the permissions I give it.

Archived